PDA

View Full Version : AJo hand

betgo
09-22-2004, 02:02 PM
I have T1100 in online satellite, which is about half average. I limp for 100 with AJo. 6th position raises to 200; button, BB, and I call.

Flop comes A56 with a two flush. I check. 6th position bets 500 allin. Others fold. I call. 6th position shows AK.

Was there a better way I could have played this hand, or should I have played it at all?

esbesb
09-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Sometimes I also limp from early-ish posiiton with a hand like AJ. My reasoning is that if I don't get raised and then hit an A or a J (without overcards on the flop) I am probably good since AQ or AK in mid/late position would probably raise. Was this your reasoning too in your initial limp? If so, do others think it is a bad move? (Assuming, of course, that you don't simply fold AJ which may well be legit.)

As for the call . . . gee, I don't know. He did raise initially, but only the minimum. I would usually expect a higher initial raise (probably all-in from this shortstack) if he had AQ or AK. I think you're ahead here often enought that I'd call.

Chief911
09-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Yes. You limped for 1/10th of your stack in early position with AJo. You either have to raise this or fold this. If you raise to 250, AK's probably going all in and you have an easy fold. If you raise to 250 and there are no AK's out there, you probably take 150 blinds. You fold, you lose nothing/gain nothing. I think I'd be pretty tempted to raise here but its probably 60/40 raise/fold.

I dont know how you called his allin when an A hit. Did you think at all about what he might have?
Nick

betgo
09-22-2004, 03:03 PM
I don't like the idea of raising 1/4 of my stack and folding to a reraise. At that point I almost have pot odds even if I am up against a higher ace or a fairly big pair.

If you are going to play AJ, it is hard to fold when ace ace hits. He could have had a lower kicker or a flush draw, or maybe a straight draw. After he miniraised preflop I had some reason to be worried.

If he had made a real raise with AK, I would have folded. The miniraise to a limper is generally a questionable move. I guess he was trying to build the pot and give me a chance to reraise. I would have just pushed preflop with AK and 700 chips at a 250 chip pot. I guess he was going for a big pot, and it worked for him here.

I wonder if it might have been better to just fold AJo UTG+1 with 11xBB.

gergery
09-22-2004, 04:35 PM
If you are UTG or UTG+1 then AJo is a fold for me at most tables.