PDA

View Full Version : A-high flush vs. possible straight flush

Sterno
09-22-2004, 10:42 AM
At the lower limit games on Party Poker and the like, do you guys think it is generally +EV to push with your A-high flush if you're getting a lot of action, if there is a possible straight flush on the board (the villian would need both cards to make it)?

Needless to say, I lost to one last night after he reraised me and I pushed, but short of any reads on the player, I'm wondering if it was really a -EV move for me. It seems like a lot of players at low limits ($10 NL or so) raise and call all-ins with even just a K-high or Q-high.

I'm wondering what experiences other people at the very low limits have had with this. The number of times I've pushed with A-high and gotten called by the K or Q more than made up for my loss last night, but maybe I've just been lucky so far.

The4thFilm
09-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Please go back to play money if you consider folding your ace high flush.

Sterno
09-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Hehe, no, I wouldn't consider folding it. But thanks for the insightful comment.

The situation is that on the river I make a half pot sized bet, and get a min reraise or something like that. In general at these limits, if there is ONE way he could have the straight flush (and it doesn't involve the K or Q), is it better to just call here, or to push and get those K's and Q's to hand you their stack?

Besides, when is the last time you saw anyone fold ANYTHING at the play money tables?

The4thFilm
09-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Uhh you pay him off if he uses both his cards to make a straight flush.

Sterno
09-22-2004, 11:05 AM
I didn't figure the answer was quite so obvious as you make it out to be, since I certainly could have simply called him without reraising him all-in.

ScottTheFish
09-22-2004, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't figure the answer was quite so obvious as you make it out to be, since I certainly could have simply called him without reraising him all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have, if you don't like money. If the board is not paired, I'm considering my A high flush the nuts, if it's only 3 to the SF on the board.

You'll leave a lot more money on the table by playing a nut flush weakly that you'll save by living in fear of straight flushes.

The4thFilm
09-22-2004, 04:58 PM
You CAN'T be SERIOUS.

Sterno
09-22-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You CAN'T be SERIOUS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was. I'm new to poker, Dude. Cut me some slack for asking a simple question about whether or not the all-in push against the possible straight flush is +EV. To me it seems like the villian reraising a pot-sized bet on a 4-flush board with a K or Q is moronic, and all I wanted to know is if you guys see it as often as I seem to.

The4thFilm
09-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Ok, then I can understand. Just play for 10 minutes on party and then ask again if you would fold an ace high flush on an unpaired board. /images/graemlins/grin.gif