PDA

View Full Version : a got Stop and Go'ed with TT on a 7 high Board

Cleveland Guy
09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
About mid way through a 300 person $10 +1 Multi NLHE on Pokeroom last night. I don't have the hand history so I'll summerize.

My villian is in the UTG +1. He is top 5 in chips, and has been playing the big stack. Making huge overbets to make people lay down. I think he has around 8000 in chips.

I am in the CO and have about 5000 in chips. Average stack is about 3000 so I am in good shape.

Blinds are 75/150. UTG Raises to 400. Folded to me and I have T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif. I make it 1000 to go. UTG Calls.

Flop - 752 Rainbow. UTG bets 3000. Hero?

fnurt
09-22-2004, 08:42 AM
If he has been playing "big stack poker" and throwing these bets around liberally, I think you have to get all your chips in with this overpair.

Jman28
09-22-2004, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he has been playing "big stack poker" and throwing these bets around liberally, I think you have to get all your chips in with this overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on what hands you think he might play this way.

If he'd only make this play with AA-TT, AK, AQ I think you should call as about a 47:53 dog with the pot odds.

If he would only play AA-TT and AK like this, you have about correct pot odds, but I'd lay it down to live another hand (unless you suck at poker).

If he would play more hands than the AA-TT, AK, AQ this way (not including only sets on this flop), which seems likely from your description, it's an easy call unless you are that much better than the field.

-Jman28

Cleveland Guy
09-22-2004, 02:44 PM
I doubted he had a High Pocket Pair, I put him on either 2 overs, something around 88,99 or something like A7 (TPTK).

I figured I was ahead against any of those, so I pushed. He turned over KK. Nice stop and go on his part.

Good to see others would have played the same way.

SossMan
09-22-2004, 02:57 PM
If he had a bigger overpair or a set, why wouldn't he check raise? I think he has whiffed big cards or 88/99, maybe even A7. I would push.

Cleveland Guy
09-22-2004, 03:09 PM
That's exactly what I put him on. I just guessed wrong.

I was impressed by his move, and not suprised to see he ended up 2nd.

SossMan
09-22-2004, 03:25 PM
<font color="blue"> I was impressed by his move, and not suprised to see he ended up 2nd.
</font>

I like the move against a thinking player...someone who assumes that the player would checkraise his stronger hands. Still, he did get lucky that you had an overpair, and not just overcards. If you had overcards (which was probably about twice as likely), you would have simply mucked to the PSB.

Cleveland Guy
09-22-2004, 04:08 PM
I had been playing with this guy for about 45 minutes, and had played with him from 30 to go to a final table about a week earlier (he finished 8th - me 2nd). I think he has respect for me, and vica/versa.

I agree - it wouldn't work as well against a random player. But he also gets to keep his role and image as the bully if I call or not.

gergery
09-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Push is the only play that makes sense with how you’ve played this hand. You knew a loose aggressive bully would call your slight underbet of his raise, and you knew he’d be raising big on the flop. You got the best flop you could hope for with 3 undercards, so if you’re not going to play here you should have played differently preflop. If he had AA-JJ wouldn't he have 1) have raised preflop, or 2) reraised your raise?

Personally, I’d have flat called his preflop raise. Even if he’s a giant bully, you are only a slight favorite vs. 2 overcards, and he is still UTG so is likely to have a decent hand. Also, I prefer situations where I am more confident I have the best hand when playing bullys, as I know they’ll pay me off when I hit --- so why play big pots for 20% of your stack when you’re not sure where you are?

--Greg