PDA

View Full Version : jokerswild Memo Forgery?

GWB
09-22-2004, 07:37 AM
The memo I refer to is the one jokerswild has often brought up - the 8/6/01 CIA briefing memo.

Well I just read an interesting bit in a blog (http://www.hughhewitt.com/) about the memo. The jokerswild Memo may just be a Forgery! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[b]"DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN

Does the CBS meltdown story feel familiar to you? Perhaps it is because on May 15, 2002, CBS News broke another big story involving documents no one else had. On May 15, 2002, CBS reported that President Bush had received a CIA analysis on August 6, 2001 which warned that Osama bin Laden might try and hijack American airplanes. The very next day --the 16th-- a highly coordinated political attack on the president had been instantly launched by then Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and then House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt, one which the Washington Post concluded on May 17th had jolted the "aura of invincibility that President Bush ha[d] enjoyed since Sept. 11." The Post continued in a Dana Milbank and Mike Allen article from the May 17th edition: "Democrats are determined to press the issue...Some Democrats revived questions about Bush's aptitude not asked since September 11, suggesting that the administration was caught napping while Bush vacationed on ihs ranch in Crawford, Tex., in August." In a famous moment on May 16, Hillary Clinton held up a new York Post with the cover headline "Bush Knew" on the floor of the Senate.

Here's a link to the summary story CBS posted on May 17, 2002 , and the video of the original May 15th David Martin report is also available on that page.

What was odd then, and remains odd to this day was the speed with which all of the Democratic big guns reacted. At the time it seemed as though they knew the CBS story was coming, and had agreed that it was the moment to strike. As though they had been briefed. As though they had agreed it was time to take a bite out of Bush. That's not the way Washington reacts to unexpected news, or to documents that have not been personally reviewed, or at least corroborated by many sources, not just one. Washington, D.C. is far too cautious a place to launch such risky attacks on a single David Martin report the basis for which hadn't been widely reviewed. But perhaps it had been reviewed.

At the time I wrote about the amazing vitriol of the attacks on the president , but I didn't stop to ask how and when CBS got the highly classified document.

CBS is a big news organization with a lot of friends --friends who pass documents along that they want put before the public. And CBS has a lot of friends in D.C. that it likes to do favors for, perhaps with a whisper of a big story. So the question, applicable both to this week's fiasco and the media-Dem push-pull of May 2002 is: Was CBS helping the Dems, or the Dems helping CBS?"