PDA

View Full Version : Threw away AK too late?

rickw
09-22-2004, 03:08 AM
I am pretty new to Poker and have been having fun (still losing a bit but improving) and learning. After going through my hands, I have come to the conclusion that I hang on to losers too long.

My question: Looking back, am I correct to conclude that the bet on the turn was a mistake? Any and all comments appreciated.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB

cold_cash
09-22-2004, 03:24 AM
I would check and fold the turn here. I doubt you have the best hand I seriously doubt you're going to fold the field. Add to that the fact that you can't know where you are even if you catch an Ace, a 2, or a King, and I'm thinking it's time to cut your losses.

Your Ace outs aren't looking too snazzy with this board, and you're drawing really slim if anyone has a 4. Your only hope in that instance is to catch a 2 (which might only be a split), and even then you lose to any 6.

I don't know if the bet is all that bad, though, because it's pretty easy to pitch it once it gets raised because your outs are so dirty. Still, against so many opponents I'm going to guess at least one of them is ahead of you and isn't going anywhere, no matter how many times you bet.

WillMagic
09-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Au contraire, you played it well.

Will

brettbrettr
09-22-2004, 09:53 AM
I don't think there's that much a difference here between betting the turn / folding to a raise or check/folding. If you were up against one or two opponents, check folding would be too weak. But I think against this many either is fine.

rickw
09-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It is quite helpful.

Rick