PDA

View Full Version : AQs vs. pf raise

afk
09-22-2004, 12:01 AM
Pacific $1/2. Very first hand at the table. I don't know a soul at the table. I post in the CO.

I get A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

UTG raises. Folded to me. I 3bet. BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: Q66 rainbow.
BB checks, UTG checks, I bet, BB calls, UTG raises, I call. BB calls.

Turn: 9 (or some other middle card)
BB checks, UTG bets, I Call, BB folds.

River: Low blank.
UTG bets, I call.

Standard? Dump it somewhere?

TexInAtl
09-22-2004, 01:23 AM
According to SSH, AQs is one of the very few hands to cold call 2 with. Because you don't have any reads on the table, you have to give UTG benefit of the doubt for having a big hand. If you just called preflop, more than likely UTG is going to continue his preflop aggression. You can raise after UTG bets the flop, and his reaction will give you more information about the strength of his hand. This could also allow you to see the turn for free, although with TPTK I don't know if you'd want to. I don't know that it would be +EV to dump this hand at any point though. If UTG raised with a 6, then he's a maniac and make a note of it. If he has QQ, KK, or AA, bummer, move on to the next hand.

Jaran
09-22-2004, 01:29 AM
Hey afk,
I like your postflop line a lot. I'm not sure about the flop 3bet. You can definitely call here as you've already posted. I think I would call and plan on popping the flop if it's favorable. But I could be completely wrong. I'm just not sure on this one.

-Jaran

Piiop
09-22-2004, 01:46 AM
I think you played it fine.

Reasons to 3-bet preflop:

Position
Likely to get the pot heads-up
Extra SB from posting
AQs is goot hand

I think the only reason not to 3-bet is because the raiser is UTG and should therefore only be raising with premium hands. However, you're obviously not going to fold, so I think taking the aggressive route is a good one.

WillMagic
09-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Uh...Three-bet the flop?

Your postflop play is extremely passive here. Not good.

Will

afk
09-22-2004, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Uh...Three-bet the flop?

Your postflop play is extremely passive here. Not good.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to slow down when check-raised by an unknown EP raiser in a situation like this.

afk
09-22-2004, 07:36 AM
And for results:

UTG shows K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif and MHIG