PDA

View Full Version : As awful as he can act.... he is absolutely right...

pshreck
09-21-2004, 11:02 PM
ESPN's decision to show Phil's little rampage at the end was interesting... but I can't help but agree with him. Only looking at the cards, I think any other player would have been busted by Annie much earlier in the HU. His skill is phenomenal, the hands he is able to fold heads up boggle my mind.

I honestly think when he said she was 30 to 1, he meant that heads up vs. him, not for the whole thing. That may be an exaggeration, but i think he would beat her 9 times out of 10, as long as he can catch atleast a small % of hands that can beat hers.

The4thFilm
09-21-2004, 11:03 PM
I'd take that bet. With even chips he would be at most a 60% favorite.

pshreck
09-21-2004, 11:05 PM
You really think at most a 60% favorite??? Ill retract 90%, but I dont know, I feel like he has a decent advantage.

The4thFilm
09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Do you play SNGs?? Heads up they are a crapshoot.

lastchance
09-21-2004, 11:07 PM
You wanna offer me 9 to 1 odds on a heads up matchup where the person you're betting against is Annie Duke?

You only need to be a 60% favorite to be considerably better than another person.

There is no way Phil Hellmuth is that much better (90%) than any decent heads-up player out there, let alone Annie Duke.

Annie Duke is definitely good enough to make it a crapshoot against Phil Hellmuth.

maurile
09-21-2004, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You really think at most a 60% favorite???

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, and even that sounds too high.

Jimbo
[ QUOTE ]
but i think he would beat her 9 times out of 10

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil isn't a favorite to beat someone playing without looking at their cards preflop 9 out of 10 times.

Jimbo

TheJackal
She seemed to hold better cards than him most of the HU battle...

lastchance
09-21-2004, 11:10 PM
That's SNG Poker. She did get lucky many times, but Phil is nowhere near good enough to be a 75% favorite. 60-65% at most, considering he holds a fair edge against Annie Duke, which I don't know he has.

maurile
09-21-2004, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She seemed to hold better cards than him most of the HU battle...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. She's even money (1:1) to hold better cards than him most of the time, which is why it's crazy to say he's a 9:1 or even a 3:2 favorite over her in the heads up portion of a tourney with escalating blinds.

$DEADSEXE$
09-21-2004, 11:11 PM
I'de put money that Robert Varkoni could win 50% of the time against Phil or Duke.
Heads up with even chips its a crap shoot-especially if it turns to a game of all-ins...just depends on who gets the cards and at what time.

DCIAce
09-21-2004, 11:12 PM
With 10BB stacks, I'll gladly play Phil, or anyone, in heads-up SnGs getting 9-1 a pop, and I'm nowhere near the player Annie is. There's no way in hell she's any worse than 2-1.

NorCalJosh
09-21-2004, 11:12 PM
i really cant say i understand the unmitigated vitriolic outpouring directed towards annie duke, specifically as a player. judging strictly based on what i have seen of her play on TV, and what i have seen of Phil on TV, i would say at this point in time, you would have had to pay me to back Phil. i'm not saying that she is a better player than phil has ever been. i'm saying currently right now. I DO understand that the hands played on tv are a minute portion of the hands played in a tournament... but I don't think Phil had a snowballs chance in hell against that table, and like i said somewhere else, only managed to last to the final two through the bad beat on chan and then holding on for dear life.

toots
09-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Annie may have gotten luckier cards. No doubt that Phil was playing fine poker.

But Annie was playing Phil a lot better than Phil was playing Phil or Annie.

Daliman
09-21-2004, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's SNG Poker. She did get lucky many times, but Phil is nowhere near good enough to be a 75% favorite. 60-65% at most, considering he holds a fair edge against Annie Duke, which I don't know he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name ONE hand where she got lucky vs him HU.

WillMagic
09-21-2004, 11:18 PM
What spectacular play?

You mean laying down K7 to an all-in on a K9J5 board?

What hands that Annie would do that with does Phil beat? He's gotta figure he's either beat or she is bluffing. I mean, sure, it was a good laydown...but it's not spectacular, and I feel confident at least 6 or 7 of the nine would have made the same play there, if not all 9.

And did you notice how after each break in the action Annie's chip lead increased? It was clear that in the in-between hands Annie was dominating. She was definitely inside his head.

And let's not forget the bad plays...like laying down AQ to Chan's raise in a five-handed game...and then justifying it by saying he just needed a hand or wanted a hand or some such nonsense...VVP obviously has a new buddy.

Whoa! I just reread your post, and you said you thought Phil was a 9-1 favorite to win against Annie heads up! I guess you have about as much understanding of the luck involved in poker as Phil does, that being slim to none.

Will

Daliman
09-21-2004, 11:19 PM
What "great" plays did he make?

Folding top/weak for a turn big bet after a check raise?

get a clue.

lastchance
09-21-2004, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name ONE hand where she got lucky vs him HU.

[/ QUOTE ]
The luck point was throughout the SNG, not just HU, and you must admit, she got really lucky on the shortstack, but that's part of poker, doesn't really say anything about how good she is.

I felt HU, she got better cards though, having Phil beat when he had top pair twice.

She really did throw him for a loop though. Based on how much Phil whined, she got inside his head a lot.

TheJackal
09-21-2004, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What "great" plays did he make?

Folding top/weak for a turn big bet after a check raise?

get a clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah come on guys, Daliman is right, thats a simple fold HU to a check raise given the fact a pro doesn't have it in them to semi-bluff a hand on the turn with outs...

Beavis68
09-21-2004, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN's decision to show Phil's little rampage at the end was interesting... but I can't help but agree with him. Only looking at the cards, I think any other player would have been busted by Annie much earlier in the HU. His skill is phenomenal, the hands he is able to fold heads up boggle my mind.

I honestly think when he said she was 30 to 1, he meant that heads up vs. him, not for the whole thing. That may be an exaggeration, but i think he would beat her 9 times out of 10, as long as he can catch atleast a small % of hands that can beat hers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure Phil meant 30:1 against the field.

binions
09-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Phil hits a 2-outer against Chan on the river, who set him up perfectly, or else Phil is out in 5th.

Annie catches flop after flop against Phil (and Howard). Reverse the hands, and Phil or Howard wins easily.

dakine
09-21-2004, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what you're implying is if Phill had the "Luck" he would!!! have won?. Phills problem is he thinks he can't be beaten on any...given day. His skill is so great...yet he lost. Gimme a break. Phills head is bigger than his "Star" Either his head or his STAR has to be resized. I'd pick the latter. Annie Duke was not intimidated by his whinning. She saw right through him and beat him at his so called skill. "It aint over 'till the River"
Congratulations Annie! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dakine
09-21-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Annie may have gotten luckier cards. No doubt that Phil was playing fine poker.

But Annie was playing Phil a lot better than Phil was playing Phil or Annie.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hallelujah", Thanks for giving Annie the respect that she has earned.

dakine
09-22-2004, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil hits a 2-outer against Chan on the river, who set him up perfectly, or else Phil is out in 5th.

Annie catches flop after flop against Phil (and Howard). Reverse the hands, and Phil or Howard wins easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh...Yes. I beleive It's called "Luck!". /images/graemlins/wink.gif