PDA

View Full Version : Big multiway pot, paired board, and all I have is top pair.

joker122
09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
I really had no idea what my plan was here.
Comments on all streets appreciated.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

The board is riddled with draws, so at this point I'm just trying to make them pay. The possibility of someone with a ten certainly entered my mind, but for some reason I just played like it wasn't out there.

Flop: (10 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (15 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (20 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

I checked because I din't want to call a raise. I don't know if that's bad or not...

Final Pot: 24 BB

imitation
09-22-2004, 12:10 AM
I like it all, I often play the river the same, I feel like a Q weaker kicker will often bet this for you and I would find it hard to lay down to a raise. When I say I like it but I just mean this is how I play it, I often think that by capping the flop on hands like these I never really know where I am, I'll often drive Tx into a shell and AQ goes silent as well, especially after leading the turn. I've been wondering if more conservative flop and turn play here would let me know when i'm behind with scary boards like these.

That said I think this agro approach saves you the most BB when you're behind and really want to get to SD, so I like it for the most against unknowns. Unfortunatley I don't feel like I deviate from this line enough against more passive opposition who are letting me know my hand isn't good enough.

spider
09-22-2004, 01:09 AM
On the flop I would fold rather than cap. With a call, raise, CC, and 3-bet, I can't imagine someone doesn't have a ten there. Looks like you are getting 10 to 1 to call on the flop. 23 to 1 to hit a queen if no one else has a queen. Is there any other card you can hit on the turn and feel confident about?

Of course there is some chance no one has a ten, but can't see that it comes close to making up the deficit between 10 to 1 and 23 to 1. And if no one does have a ten, you would still need for the multitude of draws to miss.

I just can't see continuing past the flop, unless this was a really crazy table.

BlueBear
09-22-2004, 01:22 AM
Capping on the flop does seem a bit excessive here unless you have a good read that the button is a highly aggressive and tricky player. Otherwise, by default, my play is a fold.

joker122
09-22-2004, 01:34 AM
I agree I should have folded when it was 2 back to me, even though the fact that 2 tens are out it's unlikely another one is active.

balkii
09-22-2004, 04:24 AM
hold on a sec. you want to fold

K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

on T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

in a party 6 max game, getting 19:2?

i cant see myself folding without seeing the turn here.

joker122
09-22-2004, 04:38 AM
I guess so. How many outs do you give my backdoor draws considering the paired board? I can't see it being more than 3...

imitation
09-22-2004, 04:52 AM
I would never lay this down on the flop, COs cold call could mean he's been sniffing paint and not much more. MP could be raising PP or Qx and Button could be raising KQ, AQ or Tx or is friends with CO... I talked about just calling simply because it might allow more action to take place on the turn which could give you a better idea of your position. But being first to act on the turn the question is how to play it unimproved with a blank hitting, probably can just check/fold if anything scary hits and the action goes nuts.

Trix
09-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Not sure if itīs a 3bet or not pre.

Would have check-raised the flop isntead as I dont think he will raise the flop with a worse hand often enough.

Probably bet the river.

chio
09-22-2004, 07:54 AM
i like coldcalling the flop when it's 2 back to you, planning to check raise the turn. i like folding next. i like capping the least, here's why:

(1) i don't think it's folding anyone on this board
(2) you get to see the turn card and action in front of you before deciding what to do
(3) charge everyone a double bet on the turn if you're ahead

given the way you played it, i do think you're missing a lot of equity by not 3betting PF and i would have bet the river

chezlaw
09-22-2004, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (10 SB) T, Q, T (5 players)
Hero bets, BB calls, MP raises, CO calls, Button 3-bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found Party 5/10 fairly passive and with that much flop action I think you are badly beaten nearly all of the time. Without reads I think its an easy fold.

chez

joker122
09-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Hero has Qd Kd (two pair, queens and tens).
BB has Ks Jh (straight, king high).
MP has Qc Kc (two pair, queens and tens).
Button has 7h Th (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: BB wins 24 BB.