PDA

View Full Version : Passive line with AJo, top pair...

ElSapo
09-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Sorry if this is routine, but I felt like an idiot. Maybe it's right, however.

I open raise AJo in EP. Three-bet, only I call.

Flop is AK2. Check-call.
Turn K, check-call.
River 7, check-call.

The table was loose, but raises were generally pretty strong hands...

Aces McGee
09-21-2004, 03:58 PM
I think this is a fine way to play it, but betting the river isn't wrong, either.

-McGee

Trix
09-21-2004, 04:02 PM
You can fold the river if he is straightforwardish.

If you think he will call QQ/JJ, then bet the river, else check-call.
AA,KK,AK are 7 hands, QQ/JJ are 9, so you arenīt laying down unless you know the guy well.

justin
09-21-2004, 04:06 PM
its fine the way you played it.

ElSapo
09-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks. He showed AA so...

Evan
09-21-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can fold the river if he is straightforwardish

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a joke?

J.R.
09-21-2004, 04:25 PM
No.

Evan
09-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Why would you fold the river? What was the point of getting to the river if you planned to fold when a blank fell?

spamuell
09-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Why would you fold the river? What was the point of getting to the river if you planned to fold when a blank fell?

Because you might have the best hand where has has QQ/JJ but most players won't fire another barrel on the river with this hand.

This is why I prefer bet-folding the river.

Evan
09-21-2004, 04:31 PM
I think betting and folding to a raise is fine, but check-folding seems really wrong.

sfer
09-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Straightforwards don't 3-bet preflop and bet an AKKxx board on every street with a hand that loses to AJ.

J.R.
09-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Check-folding is not wrong if you know your opponent will not bet less than AQ on the river. The reliability of your read is the factor that makes a river laydown difficult, but there are opponents against whom the laydown is the appropriate move.

Evan
09-21-2004, 04:37 PM
I don't think they bet the turn either. I think if there's a time to fold it's on the turn. I don't see the point of calling the turn to fold to a river blank.

sfer
09-21-2004, 04:41 PM
They might bet the turn, but they will certainly not bet the river. It's not the river card that should concern you; it's the player's tendencies and the information he's giving you by betting every street.

Evan
09-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Do you really think that most people will bet QQ, JJ or TT on the turn after you raised PF and called the flop bet? I don't think they would, maybe that's why we disagree.

sfer
09-21-2004, 05:02 PM
With position, yeah.

spamuell
09-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Do you really think that most people will bet QQ, JJ or TT on the turn after you raised PF and called the flop bet? I don't think they would, maybe that's why we disagree.

This could easily be what's going through a player's head with QQ/JJ:

Pre-flop: 3-bet. Standard.

Flop: AKx, not a great flop for me, but on the other hand if the action gets too heavy I'm probably behind and can fold. I'll throw a bet out there, see if he has undercards and missed or maybe an underpair which is scared of the AK.

Turn: K. Great card, makes it less likely he has one. He could easily have just been calling the flop with any two cards in the playing zone because he'd have a gutshot. He probably won't call a big bet with it now though, especially if the board is paired. I'll bet.

River: Blank. OK, well either he's got me beat with a weakly played ace, in which case he aint folding now, or he had a straight draw which is not gonna call a bet. I'll check behind.

Thus, if this player were to bet the river, it would suggest that they have a hand which they expect will win when called. This has to be against a relatively straightforward opponent though, as stated.