PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic City Trip

08-13-2002, 01:50 PM
I recently spent 10 days playing in Atlantic City.

At the Taj Mahal we had a good 30/60 holdem game on the weekend but only 20/40 through the week. Strangely, the 30/60 played with blinds of 15 and 30. A much bigger game (75/150) went only briefly on the weekend while I was there.

Tropicana had no regular holdem game higher than their "pink chip" 7.50/15 game. On the weekend Trop had a 10/20/30 holdem game for awhile. Tropicana was more creative with other games however. Trop has a regular 15/30 stud 8 or better game, but let us spread a 30/60 stud 8 over the top of it one night. Trop also let us start a good little 20/40 HOSE game which went over pretty well.

The holdem games were good but the limits mean it's not worth a trip for anyone who already has access to a good local 20/40 or higher game. In a typical Taj Mahal 10 person game I'd put the pros to solid players to fish ratio at about 2 / 2 / 6 (two pros, two solid players, 6 fish varying from weak/tight to hopelessly loose).

The Taj room is not well run. One example -- after the 30/60 game ran all weekend, the supervisor said "no, it won't go" when asked to start a 30/60 list for Monday. Of course, the previous Friday when it did go off the supervisor had predicted it wouldn't go off. Several players pointed out that the game had a much better chance to go if a list was started, but he was unmoved.

As one would expect, the straight stud games were going at higher middle stakes all the time, with an occasional big game going off.

Fritz

08-14-2002, 04:34 PM
"Strangely, the 30/60 played with blinds of 15 and 30."

What are the normal blinds that you expect for 30/60?

And while I'm thinking about it, what are the blinds for the Trop pink chip game? Don't they only have one chip type?

08-14-2002, 06:18 PM
The problem in Taj, is not "the room's" management. The correct rules and procedures are in place. The problems stem from the poor attitude of some of those so-called floor persons. Strangely, some of the ones, who have been there longest, are some of the worst. That black guy, who calls the list, seems to get a kick out of passing your name, if your don't respond, in an instant. He's been there so long, he's getting too comfortable, in his "spot".

08-15-2002, 01:17 PM
30/60 blinds would normally be 20 and 30.

Taj ran the 15/30 with blinds of 10 and 15, but for the 30/60 went with 15 and 30 blinds instead of 20 and 30. I didn't play the Trop's pink chip game, but would expect blinds of 5 and $7.50 (2 and 3 chips).

Games with a 2/3 sized small blind are usually more action packed compared with the more typcial 1/2 sized small blind games (like 10/20 with its $5 blind). The small blind almost has to get involved in unraised pots and it's easier to come in for a raise.