PDA

View Full Version : First HH and AQo question

gabuk
09-21-2004, 02:08 PM
PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed)

Most of the table was weak/tight but a few played Ace rag from any position.

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP folds, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

I figured since the SB bet on the flop, he may A5x. I raised him since I had TPTK and wanted to see if he would call or reraise.

Turn: (8 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

This is where my weak/tight tendancy kicked in. Because there were a few players that like Ace rag, I was scared of the A5x and a possible c/r. So I checked thru instead of betting. Should I have bet?

River: (8 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, UTG folds.

Instead of thinking weak, I thought about the situation for a few seconds. Since the SB didn't bet the turn, and didn't bet here, his chances for trips were slim to nil.

Final Pot: 9 BB

fyodor
09-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Nice table. All those limpers. And how about MP with his limp/fold? This is where the money is.

Yeah you should bet the turn. 100% of the time.

gabuk
09-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks, Fyodor.

Question, if I bet and got raised, should I call or fold? Realizing I only have five outs max (three Aces and two Queens), to beat his trips, the odds aren't much in my favor.

And, grats on your money placement/first final table at a B&amp;M tourney!

fyodor
09-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks.

If checkraised I would call down. He still may be on a big flush draw. He may have a weaker Q. Unless for some reason you know this guy wouldn't c/r with less than trips here you call. I think there is enough in the pot at that point.

Marlow
09-21-2004, 04:04 PM
If your opponents are average, I think the following is a decent rule of thumb: If there's a 3 str8 or 3flush out there, ignore them. You will be absolutely stunned by how few pots are won with big hands in SH play. The same goes for the A-x mentality. If they beat you by spiking the turn, so be it. Now you know how to play that mook just a little bit better next time. IMO, you will lose far more cash by not betting when you have a good but not fantastic hand, then you will ever lose to big bad 2 pair+ hands in this kind of situation. Let them tell you when they are holding big cards, but don't spend too much time psyching yourself out over their terrifying fantasy holdings.

Marlow /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif