PDA

View Full Version : It's a themed day. JJ.

Entity
09-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Villain (Button) is an ubermaniac. VPIP 97.18, PFR 43.66%, Tot-A 2.15. Table is responding to him as such. Other guy is fishy -- VPIP 33.96%, passive postflop (0.63 Tot-A).

When the hell should I slow down? Possibly seventh street?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (15.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (25.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 37.50 BB

InchoateHand
09-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Even maniacs are dealt AA and QQ. More typically, they are dealt KT. Regardless, I wouldn't even think about slowing down until the turn is capped. Since you don't improve to a boat, it is increasingly less likely that villian is vastly overplaying two pair. At the same time, you wait for opportunities like this with opponents of this calibre. My weak/tight self would call the river raise.

I'm split between putting him on KT or 45. I could be wrong though.

Entity
09-21-2004, 02:10 PM
This should clarify my read on him. He had K2o for this one.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (16.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 24.20 BB

(btw, I know my preflop call was iffy here, but both he and the other PFR were legitimate maniacs)

Rob

InchoateHand
09-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Well, if you are certain he is this much of a joker (which his stats obviously indicate), I don't think you slow down at all, and you payoff a better hand. Sometimes I wish party didn't have a HU four-bet cap.

Nottom
09-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Agaisnt a player like you describe, I think this is fine. The SB is a bit of a concern untill he slows down on the turn. I have to assume he just has something like AJ here.

Entity
09-21-2004, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agaisnt a player like you describe, I think this is fine. The SB is a bit of a concern untill he slows down on the turn. I have to assume he just has something like AJ here.

[/ QUOTE ]
SB had AK.

The maniac had KsTs for a dream flop and I lost a ton. I took it back over the next few orbits, though, but I figured this was a good example of me (over)playing JJ. Against a maniac, I'm still not sure though.

Rob

InchoateHand
09-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Ohh---ohhhh I got one right! My mom will be so proud. There is a first for everything.

I'm also sure you got it all back--I hate it when maniacs bust while I'm busy folding, or worse still, leave. I do my utmost to defend them against any adverse comments from other players.

frank_iii
09-21-2004, 02:56 PM
I agree that your play was fine.

I find that this hand is much more interesting from the standpoint of the SB. How would you have played it in his place? I think that this is a major cause of the variance when a LAG is at the table. Everyone else gets super aggressive in order to get a piece of him and, when you have a legitimate but vulnerable hand, you end up caught in the middle.