PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Jacks, advice, criticism

grouchie
09-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

nolanfan34
09-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Looks like a good line to me. When I get raised on the turn, I slow down a tad with the A on the board. At that point I think they're playing their hand like AA, KK, or QQ, so a check/call on the river is warranted.

A lot of posts about JJ today, I like it.

grouchie
09-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Ok, just wanted to make sure I was thinking properly. After being raised pre flop and post flop like that I figure'd I was up against another pocket pair and slowed down. Pretty new at this and still make mistakes, so just wanted to see if my logic and play was correct this time. Thanks man

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a good line to me. When I get raised on the turn, I slow down a tad with the A on the board. At that point I think they're playing their hand like AA, KK, or QQ, so a check/call on the river is warranted.

A lot of posts about JJ today, I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

StuR
09-21-2004, 01:55 PM
I am by no means saying you played it wrong. However I would probably cap preflop - Can any tell me why this is a bad idea (unless of course the raiser is good)

Taking your route I may even bet out on the flop hope MP1 calls and MP2 raises etc etc ...

I could be wrong - Im just thinking you could have trapped MP1 for a few more bets. I may be wrong

StuR

grouchie
09-21-2004, 02:07 PM
QQ and JJ are scary hands for me (maybe part of my problem) and i'm always afraid to cap them pre-flop because when someone re-raises me i put them on KK, AA, AK...

and of course, it happened to me earlier when i raised and capped pre-flop with my QQ only to lose to the guy with KK.

would I be better off just ignoring this and capping with any pair down to JJ?

InchoateHand
09-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Table dependent.

I don't cap with JJ if opponents are credible or weak/passive. If they aren't, you should be capping not only down to JJ but AKs and AQs as well. Your opponents will typically overplay AK, which is a lovely hand to be against on a flop containing a J. I don't think there are hard and fast rules on this.

Goon2
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Capping with JJ pre-flop can be dangerous because when a J doesn't appear on the flop, you're sweating Q, K and A when it shows up on the board. Still, I think you can play it either way. JJ is a terrific hand.

I think MP2 has QQ and hit the brakes after realizing anyone with a T in the hole had the nuts.

I like the way you played it.

grouchie
09-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Turns out that MP2 had AQs

thanks to everyone for their comments

[ QUOTE ]
Capping with JJ pre-flop can be dangerous because when a J doesn't appear on the flop, you're sweating Q, K and A when it shows up on the board. Still, I think you can play it either way. JJ is a terrific hand.

I think MP2 has QQ and hit the brakes after realizing anyone with a T in the hole had the nuts.

I like the way you played it.

[/ QUOTE ]