PDA

View Full Version : Next Ryder Cup Captains

eric5148
09-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Bet365 has Paul Azinger at 12/1 and Nick Faldo at 7/2. IMO, these are the favorites. I'm definitely taking those odds on Azinger, but not sure about Faldo. Among first time captains, Faldo is the clear favorite. The problem is, Europe has a history of picking repeat captains. They have more of a "stick with what works" attitude while the U.S. takes a "give everyone who deserves it a chance" attitude.

I'd be interested in other opinions.

Lori
09-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Langer was asked after the event if he could turn down being captain next time around if he was asked and he basically just grinned broadly.

Being European, and despite Langer being German, I would find it amazing if they changed him.

Lori

shemp
09-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Re Faldo. I don't know who is on their Ryder Cup Committe, but it seems I remember there is a bit of a rift with Faldo. Since their focus is "finding the best man for the job" rather than giving a ceremonial acknowledgement for an accomplished career, it's hard to see why they think someone who has never done it before could do it better than Langer has proven he can do it. And if asked, I don't see how Langer could turn them down.

USA. I like both Zinger and (the gritty gutty Bruin) Pavin at 12:1. And if Nelson gets listed at say 35:1 I'd jump on that too. I can't stand that O'Meara is the early favorite.