PDA

View Full Version : 1993 WSOP

tylerdurden
09-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Did anybody watch this last night on ESPN Classic? Cheesiest music ever. You also missed Ted Forrest (who looked exactly the same as he does now); a younger, happier Phil Hellmuth; and "bandana guy" (who I am guessing must be alergic to smoke). Plus Dick Van Patten's snoozeworthy commentary.

It was quite boring after having seen the 1994 WSOP livened up by the Cheap Seats guys. They're awesome.

boedeker
09-21-2004, 01:15 PM
so funny too. they said the same thing then that they say now.

1. oh look at all the young players.
2. oh look at the satellite players.
3. same old attitude. ie: the dude that went out 4th.

tylerdurden
09-21-2004, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so funny too. they said the same thing then that they say now.

1. oh look at all the young players.
2. oh look at the satellite players.
3. same old attitude. ie: the dude that went out 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. The more things change, the more things stay the same. Of course, in 1993, anyone under 40 was lumped into the "young whippersnappers" category.

MaxPower
09-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Dick Van Patten was terrible. Ted Forest looked much younger but he had the same exact haircut.

Bluff Daddy
09-21-2004, 02:53 PM
How was it without the holecard cams?

tylerdurden
09-21-2004, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How was it without the holecard cams?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Dick Van Patten thought it was adrenaline-filled drama. I thought it was worse than watching a game from the rail, since sometimes you didn't even get to see the board until the turn card came. Really shitty directing.

G Baade
09-21-2004, 07:06 PM
It is fun to try and guess.

River2Pair
09-21-2004, 07:17 PM
I liked the commentary on the big hand of the night. Three handed. Button raises, SB calls, BB goes into the tank then calls.

"Obviously a very tough decision for [BB], he must have a small pair."

Board comes K6x with two spades. UTG bets, SB raises, BB folds.

"Oh, somebody must have a pair of kings with an ace."

Low spade on the turn.

"Oh, somebody must have a flush, while the other probably has a set and is trying to fill up."

Button checks. SB pushes. Button calls.

SB shows 66 for a flopped set. Button shows AK for TPTK. Of course, then as now, the chip stacks and blind sizes weren't very clear.

I just thought the commentary was funny. Put DVP at a table with Daniel N., and Dick's head would probably explode.

Easy E
09-21-2004, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was quite boring after having seen the 1994 WSOP livened up by the Cheap Seats guys. They're awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE tell me you are kidding!

tylerdurden
09-21-2004, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

PLEASE tell me you are kidding!

[/ QUOTE ]

No way!

"Spadavecchia... that's my favorite font in Microsoft Word!"

Daliman
09-21-2004, 11:38 PM
I like Russ Hamilton, but from this day on, he will ALWAYS be "Big Montana Sky" to me.