PDA

View Full Version : Bet this river?

Shalara
09-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Generally 6 callers to a hand, no raising pre-flop, and people call on any draw, even high card. Even low high cards. Very little raising post-flop. In fact, this is one of few hands where someone raised that wasn't me. Showdown every hand too, even with people showing jack high.

1/3 Spread Limit

Shalara is UTG with Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Shalara calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, blind checks. (7 players, 7$ in pot)

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Shalara bets 3$, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises to 6$, MP3 folds, CO folds, blind folds, I call, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls. (4 players, 31$)

Turn : 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Shalara bets 3$, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises to 6$, we all call. (4 players, 55$)

River: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

The raiser hasn't raised anything all game til this hand. The other two in have seen every hand to showdown. But they seem to be betting whenever they hit a pair or better, so I think they are just on big cards or missed flushes or ace high. What's my move?

Entity
09-21-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't understand the preflop call. I've never played in a game where Q3s is playable from UTG.

You say the game doesn't feature much postflop betting, but people will bet their flush draws, pairs, and more.

If MP2 is passive, I check-call this river, since he's unlikely to raise the turn on a flush draw, and the only possible raising hand you beat is J6.

I want to see the showdown with this hand, so I don't like betting and folding to a raise. I'd probably check-call this since you played the entire hand like a weak flush draw, he'd still be likely to bet a pair of jacks into you.

Rob

FellKnight
09-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Given your prior play (and no, Q3s is not an acceptable hand to play UTG on any table), by all means bet the river. Call a raise. Entity mentionned that the only raising hand you beat is J6, but I think it is possible that he has AA or KK. I know he didn't raise preflop, and that would have been a mistake on his part, but perhaps he felt like being tricky. I have seen it before. I have also seen many people raising with 4-flushes as though they already had a the flush.

You are quite possibly beaten, either by a higher set, or a boat, but with the pot the size it is, you must see it to the end.

Fell

Nottom
09-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Check-calling seems fine.

If he was that passive you should have just check-folded the turn.

Entity
09-21-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check-calling seems fine.

If he was that passive you should have just check-folded the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
How could you fold a flush draw on that turn? You're getting 12:1 at least, and you're ahead of every flush draw right now.

Rob

Shalara
09-22-2004, 02:00 AM
I checked the river. So did everyone else.

I showed down my hand, the other two threw theirs in the muck. The guy across from me tossed his hand down face-up, grabbed his remaining chips and left. Apparently he didn't realize that his flopped set of 6s had improved, and he thought he lost to the 3 queens. However, he was brought back to the table to get his pot. The dealer and players were very honest, which was cool.

I'm kind of happy for the guy, but I would have been happier if I'd bet and he folded and I won it all /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As for the Q3s UTG, all I can say is most pots had an insane number of callers, the two guys that would bet if they made anything would only bet 1, even though they could bet 3... it looked to me like implied odds were amazing. They would call any amount, even though they'd only bet 1. So whenever I raised it to 4, they were right in there with me. Most of the table was, in fact. I felt rather compelled to call suited Qs and up from any position. Same with pairs and suited connectors. I wasn't sure how to adjust, I've never seen anything like it before. I thought those were decent adjustments, but any advice is appreciated.

WillMagic
09-22-2004, 03:33 AM
This is a obvious, basic fold preflop. I'm in shock...anyway, I guess I still have the rest of the hand to analyze...

I'm not a fan of your turn bet. I think you are definitely outkicked here...which is WHY YOU DON'T LIMP WITH Q3 suited UTG. I mean, this flop is the best one you could really ask for, and you have to go into check-call mode.

You obviously don't bet the river. You are probably outkicked, and your opponent might even have a boat. Check-call.

Will

WillMagic
09-22-2004, 03:52 AM
It's pretty simple. There isn't a game on the planet where Q3s is playable from UTG. I mean, from the button and with everyone limping it's debatable. But from UTG...your limp is atrocious.

Will