PDA

View Full Version : Anyone lay down KK here?

over_c
09-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 (t1293)
MP3 (t6422)
CO (t4019)
Button (t7040)
SB (t6278)
BB (t2840)
<font color="C00000">UTG (t1533)</font>
<font color="C00000">UTG+1 (t4074)</font>
UTG+2 (t2527)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t3139)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1533 (All-In)</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t4074 (All-In)</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero ???

This is the first time I ever considered laying down KK pre-flop. Would anyone make that move?

AceKQJT
09-21-2004, 11:08 AM
with just over 10xBB, this is exactly what you have been waiting for. I'd put my tourney on the line without a second thought. If 1 of the players holds A-A, you still have outs. I suspect you are up against a big Ace and a smaller pair.

--Casey

eMarkM
09-21-2004, 11:13 AM
No way. UTG+1 could be trying to shut out other callers with all-in to isolate UTG with a variety of hands. Could easily have AK here.

Results: I know, I know, you called and he had AA, right? You probably don't post otherwise. But this seems like a fairly easy call even if you did get cold decked in this particular instance.

ohkanada
09-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Call.

Maybe fold if someone makes the 3rd raise before it gets to you, or if both raisers are extremely tight. I have folded KK once pre-flop and it wasn't in a tourney.

Ken

SossMan
09-21-2004, 11:19 AM
this is a very easy push.

over_c
09-21-2004, 11:25 AM
No, this is not a post where I got beat. UTG had JJ, UTG+1 had QQ. My kings held up and I nearly tripled up on the hand.

This was great outcome for me. I considered folding for maybe 5 seconds and then came to my senses. I figured UTG+1 would have flat called w/ AA trying to get someone else to re-raise him. So I called and was very pleased with the results.

How I managed to screw myself later on in this satellite tournament is detailed in the "Selected tournament hands from yesterday" post.

Toro
09-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Call. The all-in raise that UTG+1 made is one that I make with QQ all the time.

fnurt
09-21-2004, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a very easy push.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it is!

the question is not whether one of them MIGHT have AA. of course they might! but the call is still a huge +EV opportunity.

wizard
09-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Had this same hand in the same situation come up last week. Made the same play after a similar thot process and was crippled by the AA in the big stack hand. Still think that I made the right play so no regrets. You did it just right.

SossMan
09-21-2004, 03:36 PM
you are most likely up against two aces here....fortunately for you, they are likely in separate hands.

durron597
09-21-2004, 03:59 PM
If it's good enough for the final three tables at the WSOP....

3:58 PM
Jason Sagle and Hung La both eliminated by Mike McClain.
Sagle moved in and La moved in behind him. Fullerton contemplated for several minutes, then mucked. McClain called. Sagle had A-10, La had A-K, and McClain had K-K. The board came 7-5-2-Q-8. When the 8 hit the river, the announcer said "It's an eight!", which sounded a lot like "It's an ace!", and Sagle/La supporters started to applaud. Unfortunately for them, it was, in fact, an eight.
After the hand, Fullerton disclosed that he had folded A-Q, meaning Sagle and La were drawing to the single remaining ace.

ctide
09-22-2004, 10:12 AM
The only time I'm nervous here is if UTG+1 flat calls. UTG+1 shoving over UTG looks like an attempt to isolate, which is rarely AA. If UTG has AA, so be it, you still end roughly even as long as you don't lose to whatever UTG+1 is holding.

skeemer
09-22-2004, 05:36 PM
This is my first post, but i have been reading from these message boards for some time and have learned alot from it. I have made 3 final tables in the last month, one of them i came in 2nd, and credit this forum to most of my success.

I do agree that the flat call from UTG+1 would be worse than the raise, because he is attempting to isolate, but i have made that same play with AA, as i don't want anyone with high pockets to come in and hit a set, i know im ahead in the hand, and as long as UTG has a decent stack i will be fine winning that and not taking much of a risk, since i would assume either pockets or a hand i have dominated from UTG. However, letting another player enter (which would almost have to have high or at least medium pockets, since the call would pretty much eliminate AK for fear of one of the others having AA) and while AA is a very good hand to be all in on, letting 2 pocket pairs see all 5 cards is not good, as there is a decent chance one of them will hit. It is for that reason i like to push even with AA. Getting greedy gets me eliminated too often.

-Nick