PDA

View Full Version : Am I stupid, or could I possibly have made the right play on these?

kayaker
09-21-2004, 10:26 AM
First hand, Villian has been a maniac, seeing almost every flop (was about 80% VP&IP at this point, albeit just about 15 hands into my session). He's sucked out twice that I've seen, and taken one beat where he should not have been in the hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

SB <font color="purple">(Villian)</font> ($22)
Hero ($23.75)
UTG ($18.15)
UTG+1 ($33.20)
UTG+2 ($16.50)
MP1 ($22.65)
MP2 ($41.25)
MP3 ($26.55)
CO ($42.75)
Button ($15.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.50, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, SB <font color="purple">(Villian)</font> completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($3) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Villian checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Villian calls $3.

Turn: ($9) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Villian raises to $18.5 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $13.50.

River: ($46) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $46

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Villian has 6c Ac (flush, ace high).
Hero has Tc 3c (flush, ten high).
Outcome: Villian wins $46. </font>

I couldn't see how the 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif helped him, so I had to decide if he had made his flush and just cold-called on the flop. Given the way he'd been playing, I decided he probably had a single high club and was semi-bluffing. And getting $32.50 to $13.50 (~2.4-1 odds), I figured I had to call.

-------------------------------------------------------

Second hand, Villian was showing up in PT as a calling station, so I was thinking he might have Q9, or possibly KQ/KJ.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

Button ($40.50)
Hero ($27.80)
BB ($11.90)
UTG ($24.50)
UTG+1 ($16.25)
UTG+2 ($24.50)
MP1 ($78.51)
MP2 <font color="purple">(Villian)</font> ($40.80)
MP3 ($33.65)
CO ($24.34)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.50, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 <font color="purple">(Villian)</font> calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, Villian calls $3, CO folds.

Turn: ($8.50) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, Villian calls $6.

River: ($20.50) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $18.3 (All-In)</font>, Villian calls $18.30.

Final Pot: $57.10

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Td As (three of a kind, aces).
Villian has Ah Jh (full house, aces full of jacks).
Outcome: Villian wins $57.10. </font>

Should I have bet more on the flop/turn? On the river, should I have check/called or check/folded instead of pushing?

eyekast
09-21-2004, 10:43 AM
hand 1: i would have overbet the pot on both the flop and the turn to prevent anyone with a club higher than ten to chase.

hand 2: well AT i would have folded pre flop its not a strong hand and definatley not worth playing upfront. if i did play it for cheap in the small blind i would be looking to flop two pair, three of a kind tens, full house, or something to that effect AT is a very dominated hand with so many callers. plus you have the flush draw to worry about this is a hand that should NOT be pushed hard. try to see a cheap showdown. sooo many people play AQ, AJ, from any position. however since you did play it you should again overbet the pot on the flop to protect your hand and give flush draws an expensive card ,but once you get called or raised you should NOT back this hand with your stack..

chris

Skjonne
09-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Two very interesting hands that perfectly illustrates why I don't play those hands out of the blinds (ATo in LP excepted).

Here you're in the blinds and got "unlucky" and hit the flop. Honestly I don't think, I'm good enough to get out of the way, especially considering your description of Villain

kayaker
09-21-2004, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hand 1: i would have overbet the pot on both the flop and the turn to prevent anyone with a club higher than ten to chase.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking. Then when he called or raised, it's a much easier lay down for me. Just wish I'd thought that way when I was playing it.

[ QUOTE ]
hand 2: well AT i would have folded pre flop its not a strong hand and definatley not worth playing upfront. if i did play it for cheap in the small blind i would be looking to flop two pair, three of a kind tens, full house, or something to that effect AT is a very dominated hand with so many callers. plus you have the flush draw to worry about this is a hand that should NOT be pushed hard. try to see a cheap showdown. sooo many people play AQ, AJ, from any position. however since you did play it you should again overbet the pot on the flop to protect your hand and give flush draws an expensive card ,but once you get called or raised you should NOT back this hand with your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured it was cheap, so I completed for +EV with several limpers. When I got hit on the flop, I started to think no one else had an A, so I might actually have the best hand. When the turn brought me the OESD to go along w/ my TPDK, I'm thinking now that I should have overbet. That would have told me for sure if I was in trouble. If he had raised there, I would probably have called, but it would have been much easier to muck a set of Aces on the river knowing he likely hit the boat.

Thanks for your input. Seems my biggest weakness is getting away from big hands these days. I'm just about even overall, but I'll do something like this and have to fight to get back there.

kayaker
09-21-2004, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here you're in the blinds and got "unlucky" and hit the flop. Honestly I don't think, I'm good enough to get out of the way, especially considering your description of Villain

[/ QUOTE ]

And thus the downside to Party. You hit a really good hand, and it seems so hard to lay it down. Too many players are so loose as to play with just about any two cards.