PDA

View Full Version : PIT-MIA week 3

MicroBob
09-21-2004, 08:46 AM
I'm a bit biased on this one and it can blow-up in my face....but I really like the Steelers here.

Miami's defense still doesn't blow me away. Looked more like bad Cincy offense for much of the game Sunday night.

Reason why I'm biased is that I'm a Miami of Ohio guy and have watched Ben Rothelisberger throughout his collegiate career. The big guy is the real deal gang. He put up some good numbers in a couple of the pre-season games that I happened to catch stats on.
I really believe the Giants (or any other team) would have been wise to take him before Eli Manning as I just believe Rothelesberger has more talent, a stronger arm, better vision of the field, etc etc etc.

I was telling guys 4 years ago to mark my words and that they were going to want Rothlesberger on their fantasy-football teams in a few years.

time will tell.

Anyway - who has thoughts on Miami's defense. Am I just not giving them enough credit?

NoChance
09-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Huge Steeler fan here and I have no idea about this game.

Miami can't run the ball. Steelers can't stop the pass. Who knows?

Miami DOES have a great pass rush. While I agree Rothelessburger should eventually be good, I'm quite sure Miami will be blitzing with every opportunity they get to try and rattle him. The key to this game is if he can keep from making the costly mistakes. Too many unknowns. You can also bet the Steelers know this will happen and will put together a safe gameplan for this week....I hope.

holeplug
09-21-2004, 11:43 AM
There has to be some kind of gambling rule somewhere that says you should never ever ever ever ever bet on a rookie QB making his first NFL start on the road against a decent defense.

MicroBob
09-21-2004, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There has to be some kind of gambling rule somewhere that says you should never ever ever ever ever bet on a rookie QB making his first NFL start on the road against a decent defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this a fair assessment.
And I admit I am extremely biased as I have followed Rothlesberger throughout his career. Hell, I've even met him a few times (man, he's tall).
Obviously I'm a believer in this guy but I don't blame others who would want to stay away from this for all the obvious reasons.

I meant to address the idea that I don't think the under is as much of a lock as some might think for this one and I would advise taking some caution if you're looking at that one (as I suspect many are).

MicroBob
09-22-2004, 06:51 AM
I've decided to take the over (33.5) on this one as well.

You guys can all laugh at me when they have some kind of 7-6 score like JAX-DEN and Rothlesberger goes 10-for-25 with 3 INT's!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Porcupine
09-22-2004, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys can all laugh at me when they have some kind of 7-6 score like JAX-DEN and Rothlesberger goes 10-for-25 with 3 INT's!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing to keep in mind is that he is young and good. So, he is likely to make some great throws (points for Pitt) and some awful mistakes (INT/fumble for TD by MIA or at least something that sets up MIA for cheap points). I see Feeley for MIA the same way - can get Mia some points, but likely to "give" some easy points to Pitt.

NoChance
09-22-2004, 04:17 PM
I think the Steelers will put together a "safe" gameplan. Miami has not defended the run wery well in the first two games. I look for the Steelers to throw short passes, a few screens to stop the blitzing, and run the ball a higer percent this week to stay out of 3rd and long. They will do this to take the pressure off the QB. The Steelers have quite a bit of offensive talent that will help absorb the loss of Maddox.

Having said that, I know Miami will have absolute zero luck trying to run the ball against the Steelers. They will be forced to throw and the Steelers pass defense is suspect. I think the game is decided on this side of the ball. In my opinion the game rests on the Steelers ability to stop Miami and create turnovers.

I have no opinion on a side but everything sure points to a low scoring game with decent defenses and more running. I am staying off this game.

TheNatural1
09-22-2004, 09:58 PM
A rookie QB starting his first game on the road against the #2 defense in the league so far does not set right with me. The dolphins will want to intimidate him and force some mistakes by blitzing a lot and jason taylor will draw a double team every down. This is an experienced defense that must be watering at the mouth for a chance to get at the young QB.
Also today there was controversy over some comments that steelers O lineman alan faneca said about Rothlisberger. That could cause a lack of chemistry between the QB and his line which will not help things at all. The steelers will have to rely on the run to have any success and I dont see staley or bettis having a huge game against a great run defense.
The steelers defense is also a ricky one and look for Feely to find randy mcmicheal over the middle several times to move the sticks. Mcmichael openly complained about the lack of production last week and I see Feely having a better game in his second start. Remember this is the guy that went 4-1 when Mcnabb went down and he didnt have owens to throw to (I am aware phillys D was great at the time but so is miami's).
Bottom line when faced with choosing two teams with struggling offenses I go with defense and Miami has a clear advantage playing at home and desperate for a win. The steelers almost expect to lose since Rothlisberger was named starter.

MicroBob
09-22-2004, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The steelers almost expect to lose since Rothlisberger was named starter.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh??

TheNatural1
09-22-2004, 10:09 PM
After rothlisberger was named starter for this week they interviewed several of the players saying that they were not excited about the game and that they would be facing a lot of blitzes. The overall moral seemed low.

$DEADSEXE$
09-24-2004, 07:56 PM
The Miami defense is not the key part of this match-up, it's the miami offense. They can't move the ball in the air or on the ground.
Steelers win this one +3