PDA

View Full Version : Shady Semi-Bluff

Bigdaddydvo
09-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Gents,

My 4/8 weekend game at Caesars IN was swimming with its usual high % of fish that like to see most every flop. Also some loose raising standards, as you'd see raising in E or MP with stuff like A-8o. People slowed down a lot postflop, though. Though I made about 1.5 BB/hr, I misplayed way too many hands, and this one probably ranks up there.

Dvo is CO w/A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Some folds, MP2 raises, Dvo calls (questionably), button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, MP2 bets, Dvo calls, BB calls.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, MP2 bets, Dvo raises (very questionable semi-bluff), BB folds, MP2 3-bets (uh oh), Dvo calls.

River: 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP2 says "You may just have that 7" and checks. I bet my flush and he calls.

Hindsight, I think it was the wrong semi-bluff at the wrong time. What was I gonna do, push AK off of his hand (that being my rationale, what was I doing calling w/AJ suited to begin with?) The only hand that could possibly justify that semi-bluff was TT. I'd appreciate some feedback...and don't worry, plenty of other hands I botched are on their way.

lil'
09-21-2004, 08:48 AM
If you think he is raising light, you should three bet pre-flop and increase your chances of taking it down unimproved.

On the turn, if you think there is a chance you are best here (or make a better hand fold, like A-Q or 5-5, although this seems unlikely), there is nothing wrong with raising. You ran into a hand this time, but that is what makes a semi-bluff better than a flat out bluff; you can get caught and still win.

Bigdaddydvo
09-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Villian shows down QQ. Score one for the backdoor flush.

DonkeyKong
09-21-2004, 06:49 PM
I like it, you will very likely get Kx and Qx to fold in case one of those cards comes on the river.

It also makes fish a little more afraid of betting without a hand... Invest an extra BB when you get a good semi-bluff spot like this and instill some fear... he didn't raise you back so it was just like calling him on the river if your card didn't come and you wanted to look him up...

devinthedude
09-21-2004, 08:05 PM
I agree, preflop, I think I would 3-bet if you think the raiser would make this play routinely as the first one in. I just looked at SSH and it recommends you call in this situation.

I think I would raise the flop. If reraised I would lay it down on the turn if I didnt improve, plus you have a chance to get BB out with a raise here.

Turn: now I dont think you want BB out that your draw has showed up, there is no more threat of reverse domination. There is still a pretty good chance you are behind. If it were heads up I would say raise, but if BB calls, you get just as much as you wouldve if you raised and he folded.