PDA

View Full Version : I must have been able to get more money.. AQ?

DBowling
09-21-2004, 04:45 AM
My first day playing party $50nl. I noticed a lot more reraising preflop, and wasnt really sure what it meant or if i should give it any respect. I decided to call and see what the flop brought.
I had no intention betting out the flop, whether it hit me or not. I wanted to induce a bluff if I hit. The flop seemed harmless enough, i figured i was either way ahead(AK, lower pocketpair) or way behind(AA, KK). I didnt think a check raise had much value in this case. If im way ahead, hes folding, if im way behind im hes pushing.
The problem is, my turn bet is not much better than a check raise. I gave him a cheap(er) card to beat me. The only advantage it has is if he think i picked up a flush draw on the turn or maybe im just trying to take a stab at the pot. Might it have been better to check it to him again and risk giving a free card(99 or JJ has a straight draw)?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($95.60)
UTG+2 ($74.30)
Hero ($57.25)
MP2 ($52.75)
MP3 ($47)
CO ($45.50)
Button ($48.50)
SB ($54.05)
BB ($40.45)
UTG ($53.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $3, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $8</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls $5, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($21.50) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

Turn: ($51.50) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: $71.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $51.50, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $20, returned to Hero.</font>

Wayfare
09-21-2004, 09:07 AM
I like it, although I would still probably limp/call instead of having to put in $5 out of position and pull the stop and go. I like the stop and go in this situation though.

DBowling
09-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks, the table was real weird (for what im used to). It seemed every pot was either limped around or raised and then reraised. There was not much flat calling raises preflop. If i knew someone was gonna bet it for me, i would have loved to have limp/called /images/graemlins/wink.gif
So the turn bet is better than checking it to him? Is that what you mean by stop and go?

Wayfare
09-21-2004, 12:55 PM
I definately think the turn bet is better than a check. Stop and go is when you are in first position and you check, then call a bet by someone in late position, and then lead out on the next street.

People do it with their made hands a lot and it shows no fear to build the pot on the turn. Classic example of a hand to do it with is a set. The reason it is so menacing is that it says "I'm not afraid of your strength" or "that last card helped me" while also indicating that, if you have lots of money behind, a raise might trigger an all in or simply a flat call and all in on the river.