PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones

Malone Brown
09-21-2004, 02:48 AM
Hey,
I'm thinking about buying a cell phone while I'm down here in Korea. Anyone know if I would be able to use this cell phone when I move back to canada in a year or so or is it not campatable? Probably a dumb question I know but I know nothing about cell phones.
Thanks
Malone

wacki
09-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Call your local sprint/verizon person. I have a bunch of European friends that use their phones in Europe and the USA. It might take a special phone.

daveymck
09-21-2004, 10:12 AM
I think its called Triband.

If you have a phone that is Triband you will be able to use it in both the US and Europe etc.

wacki
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think its called Triband.

If you have a phone that is Triband you will be able to use it in both the US and Europe etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.mobiledia.com/glossary/259.html
A network infrastructure or wireless phone designed to operate in three frequency bands: 800 MHz, 900 MHz and 1800MHz.

That definition differs from:
http://goeurope.about.com/cs/stayingconnected/a/cell_phone_buy.htm
(a must read)
Many companies sell locked cell phones which provide only one SIM card option for use with each phone linked to one particular carrier. This is not what you want. Unlocked cell phones allow the use of any SIM card, as long as the frequency capabilities are correct. (Dual Band is 900/1800 Mhz for overseas, Tri-band 900/1800/1900 Mhz for overseas plus North America.) Unlocked GSM phones are what you need.

Where do I get my Unlocked Cell Phone and SIM card?

You're best off purchasing your cell phone and SIM card in the US from a dealer who specializes in selling and renting cell phones for use abroad (This is especially true for the SIM card itself, since most countries in Europe sell SIM cards only to residents). Another benefit of getting the card early is that the number of your phone is embedded in the card, so you'll be able to give that number out to family and friends. You'll activate the SIM when you get to your destination. You can easily add calling time to the original SIM so you don't have to change numbers each time you run out of call time.

Nepa
09-21-2004, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know if I would be able to use this cell phone when I move back to canada in a year or so or is it not campatable? Probably a dumb question I know but I know nothing

[/ QUOTE ]

In a year or so you should be due a new phone anyway.