PDA

View Full Version : Do I play rockets wrong again?

Ajax410
09-21-2004, 02:20 AM
Would any of you have played these differently?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (14 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 26 BB

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (18 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (24 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets $0.5 (All-In)</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25.50 BB

nothumb
09-21-2004, 02:27 AM
Hand 1: Three bet the flop. Raise the turn. Terrible.

Hand 2: Given that UTG is down to the bottom of his stack he might be getting silly; however, a check-raise on the turn almost always means one pair is beat, even if it was the nuts preflop. I call down from that point on.

NT

jar
09-21-2004, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Three bet the flop. Raise the turn. Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2: Given that UTG is down to the bottom of his stack he might be getting silly; however, a check-raise on the turn almost always means one pair is beat, even if it was the nuts preflop. I call down from that point on.

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably call down here too, but 3 betting isn't terrible. I'm having trouble finding a hand where UTG's play makes sense, so I think bottom of stack craziness is likely.

Ajax410
09-21-2004, 03:47 AM
I didn't want to scare anyone out...and I assumed I could extract more value if I wanted to do my intense raising on the turn and river - is this such a bad play?

On the turn...when 4 to a straight come out and I'm playing against shaky players, I have a tendency to believe that I'm beat - in this case, both of these players held a 2...one had A2 and one had 52 - both are terrible hands and I am getting +EV from both - but I really felt like I was beat...is this still a bad play?

InchoateHand
09-21-2004, 03:50 AM
Yes. You'll never scare anyone. A lone two will call you to the end of the earth. A flush draw will call you to the end of the earth. A pair of sevens will call you to the end of the earth. Bet and they will call. Get your money in while you are best, and don't worry about "scaring" people. If you are raising/re-raising the flop, the last hand your average opponent will consider is AA.
Good luck.

Sent
09-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Get the money in while you are ahead, people are still drawing to beat you and a set is a strong hand so dont be afraid to bet and raise the fishies

-Sent

wuwei
09-21-2004, 11:35 AM
On hand 1, 3-bet the flop! After you get beat enough by these gutshots, you realize "scaring" some people out before the turn is better than keeping them around to beat you by the river. And the odds are they won't drop anyways for just one more sb. If it was headsup, then I'd consider a slowplay on the flop. But not with this many players in the hand...

Nottom
09-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Hand 1: You waited 2 streets to long to raise with your set.

Hand 2: Raise the river.

btspider
09-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Hand 1. 3-bet flop, raise turn. you have a good, but not unbeatable hand.

Hand 2. UTG has enough to begin with that it doesn't look like a race to be all-in. I guess he has TT or an odd PF raised baby pair that hit a set. raise the river once he's all-in.

Jaran
09-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Hey Ajax,
Hand one you either need to 3bet the flop or raise the turn, and I prefer to 3bet the flop to put some pressure on the gutshots. Given the way you played it, you cannot go this crazy on the river. SB has a 2 and MP1 either also has a 2 or 67, most likely the latter. Hand 2 I would play the same, especially given UTG being so short stacked.

-Jaran