PDA

View Full Version : Playing Middle Set on a straight board

Hotrod0823
09-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Late in hour 2 of stars rebuy: Blinds 100/200 a25 still 600+ remaining

(11,000 just above average stack)

Dealt T T in MP

1 Limper UTG+1 (12,000)

I raised to 600 (3xBB) in retrospect I think a raise to 800 or 1000 is more appropriate. Pot was ~725

UTG+1 calls Pot ~1525

Flop: 9 J T rainbow, UTG+1 checks.

I bet out 1800 overbet the pot (what is your move here with a straight board vs. 1 opponent?)

UTG+1 minraised to 3600 (At this point I didn't put him on a made straight. Figured KQ will let me bet into him again on the turn and or river and 87 wouldn't be played UTG+1)

The range of hand I put him on were QJ, JT, AJ, ATs, maybe 99. Figured AK, KK, QQ and AA to possibly limp reraise PF and would most likely bet out on this flop.

What would warrent a check raise here? I didn't think anything.

I guess he had a straight draw with a hand like QJ, or was bluffing so I pushed all in with my middle set. I had 7 outs if he was playing KQ but figured that would be unlikely given the action.

He instantly calls with 87s and I am out.

Now I realize how awful I played this hand but what would've been the best course of action? I think my PF raise was too small. I think overbetting that flop is correct but I'm not sure. Checking it down can't be right can it?

I think I should've just called the raise I would be calling 1800 into a ~7000 pot getting almost 4:1 on my call with 7 outs. But leaving myself only 5000 behind. That is why I pushed.

How could have I played this hand correctly.

Thanks