PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read these books?

Ulysses
09-21-2004, 12:23 AM
I bought a few books today. Almost bought a few more, but wasn't sure about them, so I figured I'd ask for opinions on here.

The Meaning of Everything - by the author of The Professor and the Madman. Now, I read and enjoyed that book, which was about the creation of the OED. Apparently so is this one. So, I'm a little confused.

No Logos - by Naomi Klein. This is about branding and consumerism and general effects on society. Sounded interesting, but books like this can often be really dull.

Fortress of Solitude - by Jonathan Lethem, author of Motherless Brooklyn, a book I liked a lot. From the blurb, I thought it might be overly sappy.

So, anyone have anything good/bad to say about these books?

Zeno
09-21-2004, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Meaning of Everything - by the author of The Professor and the Madman. Now, I read and enjoyed that book, which was about the creation of the OED. Apparently so is this one. So, I'm a little confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always confused. But I did hear about the OED book but I forget where and when; I'm getting old and feeble. C-span perhaps. I wanted to read it but will have to wait.

Never heard of any of the other books. Hope you enjoy them.

Speaking of the OED, as a bibliophile I am proud of owning The Shorter Oxford Dictionary . Shorter being relative as this is a large two-volume set (with slip case) consisting of about 3,800 pages. This was a limited edition and only 1,500 were made, three quarter bound in goatskin with moiré silk sides. Not only practical, this set will only increase in value over the years. So it is a good investment, as Ray Zee would note. In addition, each volume weighs about 10 lbs. so looking things up also exercises the arms. This would be good for Mr. Zee, he could exercises his arms and brain at the same time – something that is probably difficult to do in Montana.

But enough drivel. It's late.

-Zeno

Ulysses
09-21-2004, 03:46 AM
Well, you should read The Professor and the Madman. It is also a book about the making of the OED by the same author. Even the cover of the new book is very similar to that of the older one. I was actually quite confused at first when I saw it for these reasons. I'll have to track down some reviews and find out what TMoE is about exactly. TPatM was really good, especially if you're into words.

turnipmonster
09-21-2004, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Fortress of Solitude - by Jonathan Lethem, author of Motherless Brooklyn, a book I liked a lot. From the blurb, I thought it might be overly sappy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finished this not too long ago. In a talk lethem gave, he said he needed to exorcise a lot of things in his personal life in this book, and it reads like that. I didn't particularly enjoy the book, and it is nothing at all like motherless brooklyn.

honestly I like lethem's stuff but never read anything quite like motherless brooklyn from him.

--turnipmonster

nicky g
09-21-2004, 05:09 AM
"No Logos - by Naomi Klein. This is about branding and consumerism and general effects on society. Sounded interesting, but books like this can often be really dull. "

I thought overall this was indeed kind of dull, although there are interesting bits strewn around in it. I prefer her single pieces, which can be found on her website.

Fluffington
09-21-2004, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No Logos - by Naomi Klein. This is about branding and consumerism and general effects on society. Sounded interesting, but books like this can often be really dull

[/ QUOTE ]

You ought to consider checking this book out as well. It offers an excellent counterargument to the anti-globalization movement and is, as far as I can recall, written in a more interesting way. Though it was a few years since I read No Logo.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1930865473/qid=1095770531/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-1335300-3270460?v=glance&s=books

His website

www.johannorberg.net (http://www.johannorberg.net)

pokerjo22
09-21-2004, 03:33 PM
I read the prof and the madman, and was underwhelmed so I wouldn't be reading the next one.

Books on my wishlist are 'Affluenza' and 'Reefer Madness' - has anyone read those? Berkeley is turning me into a hippie /images/graemlins/grin.gif

M2d
09-21-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No Logos - by Naomi Klein. This is about branding and consumerism and general effects on society. Sounded interesting, but books like this can often be really dull.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend in my last B-school marketing class gushed about this book, but she was a Masters in Marketing student, so it could have been that she gushed about anything in the subject. Haven't read it, myself, but she was hot, so I let her say what she wanted.

Knockwurst
09-21-2004, 05:07 PM
The Professor and the Madman was the nuts -- Just the notion of creating this truly democratic work of scholarship where anyone can be a contributor (a little like this website) and the fact that one of the most prolific contributors was an insane civil war surgeon (also a little like this website)made for a great read. I bought his book "The Map That Changed The World" which I have yet to begin. Also got the "Measure of All Things" about the two frenchmen that came up with the metric system during the French Revolution. As an aside, Diablo a store just opened in the hood that specializes in all kinds of Mexican Wrestler paraphernalia. Go figure.

Too many books and the blinds come around too fast.

Go Bears!

Class of 87

sfer
09-21-2004, 05:09 PM
That's funny, Berkeley turned me into a coffee and cheese snob.

Ulysses
09-21-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Books on my wishlist are 'Affluenza' and 'Reefer Madness'

[/ QUOTE ]

Reefer Madness (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1043579&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

I haven't read Affluenza, but The Overspent American: Why We Want What We Don't Need was a great read. You might also like Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America.

M2d
09-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Actually, Berzerkeley turned me into a poker player

pokerjo22
09-21-2004, 06:41 PM
I preferred Fast Food Nation to Nickel and Dimed. Everyone in Nickel and Dimed annoyed me too much, and I didn't have sympathy for anyone. I thought Fast Food Nation would have been better had he tried knocking down some counter-arguments.

Frederick Forsyth fan eh? My Dad got me into them. I liked the early ones a lot, but his recent ones seem to have just been stupid.

Boris
09-21-2004, 06:49 PM
There used to be a dealer at AJ's that told me a sad story one day. He was an A student in high school and got into Berkeley. Then one day he discovered the Oaks and started winning alot of money. Too bad for him he was just lucky but thought he was good. before you know it he's skipping class to play poker. Not soon after he's selling his books to maintain the bankroll. 15 years later he's still dealing at AJ's. He always was playing in his off time and couldn't play worth a lick. But he kept trying anyways to quit the job and go pro. I kind of felt bad for him.

Ulysses
09-21-2004, 06:55 PM
AJs dealer who can't play worth a lick and plays all the time? That sure narrows things down a lot. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
09-21-2004, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I preferred Fast Food Nation to Nickel and Dimed. Everyone in Nickel and Dimed annoyed me too much, and I didn't have sympathy for anyone. I thought Fast Food Nation would have been better had he tried knocking down some counter-arguments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of agree re: the people in Nickel and Dimed, tho I was perhaps a bit more sympathetic to the overall situation than you. Have you read any of the following: There Are No Children Here (Kotlowitz), Amazing Grace / Rachel & Her Children / Savage Inequalities / etc. (Kozol), Random Family (LeBlanc)? If you have, or end up reading any of these, I'd be interested in whether or not you felt sympathetic towards the people in these books. Different people I know who read these books have starkly differing views wrt how they feel about the subjects of these books. Your point re: FFN is also true, tho I still thought it was well done.

[ QUOTE ]
Frederick Forsyth fan eh? My Dad got me into them. I liked the early ones a lot, but his recent ones seem to have just been stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree. The Day of the Jackal and some other older stuff was great, but most of his more recent stuff is Grisham-level in quality. Overall, for this kind of book, Ludlum is a way better read.

M2d
09-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Mine was a case of: my gf (now wife) was in school there, and I worked a 4/12 night schedule at the time.

sfer
09-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Replace "Oaks" with "weed" and "winning a lot of money" with "feeling really good" and I've seen many similar stories.

jayrutz2
09-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Berkely would turn anyone into a hippy! If it doens't, than you must have a problem /images/graemlins/smile.gif