PDA

View Full Version : Good Fold?

Georgia Peach
09-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Just wondering if I should have re-raised, limped (as I did) and whether my fold was a good one. The BB re-raise made me think AA or KK. Or was I too wimpy?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed)

SB ($100.15)
BB ($134.10)
UTG ($98)
UTG+1 ($98)
MP1 ($135.10)
MP2 ($96.20)
CO ($186.15)
Hero ($44.05)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $2, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $4</font>, UTG+1 calls $3, MP1 folds, CO calls $2, Hero folds.

Flop: ($15.50) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: $25.50

aLittleFish
09-21-2004, 12:59 AM
I would interpret this situation completely different than yourself. while most of the time, I hate to see someone re-raise after I just flat called a raise with a pocket pair, I don't really mind a min-raise. The reason is most of the time it'll be made by someone who doesn't know how to play A-A or K-K, precisely the hands you put him on.

For another $2 you can see the flop knowing that if you catch your set, you will almost assuredly get paid off. If you miss, you just throw it away. The one thing that makes this play slightly questionable in my mind is your stack size. You severely cut down your implied odds by being the shortstack. You should always have about the max buy-in.

Learning to not call re-raises with pocket pairs is usually a tough lesson to learn. Unfortunately, you seem to have taken it to heart too much. While calling a pot size raise would be dubious, a min-raise should be called as the implied odds are still very favorable.