PDA

View Full Version : 1st OF HOPEFULLY A WEEKLY DISSCUSSION/LECTURE SERIES

STLantny
09-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Heres the breakdown, lets shoot this up the flag pole and see who salutes it, you know, put the milk out on the stoop and see who laps it up...I would like to start of twoplustwo lectures and/or a QandA sessions about particular topics relating to gambling/poker theories. This would all be down on IRC, for those who dont know, we have a #twoplustwo channel on EFnet. google irc. If anyone has any ideas on getting it together let me know. I will do most of the organization during the day tommorow.

Dynasty
09-21-2004, 12:16 AM
How is this supposed to be better than the 7-days-a-week, 24-hours-a-day forums?

B Dids
09-21-2004, 12:32 AM
To play devil's advocate, there's some value to real live discussion. I know that I've learned a lot from picking people's brains (Dialbo, Astro) on IRC. If somebody's willing to invest the time, I'd be willing to listen.

STLantny
09-21-2004, 12:33 AM
I, personally find, that a live discussion fosters much more debate and presents theory from better angles. But that's me, seeing as you and daryn (on irc) have raised the same concern, Ill scrap the idea unless I get some interest.

daryn
09-21-2004, 12:42 AM
yeah.. i have nothing against your idea really.. but i just think it is nothing new. if you want live discussion, just log onto the IRC room and strike up some poker discussion.

if you just randomly go into the IRC channel, you might hear people talking about bruiser getting laid, or anything off topic like that.. but if you bring up some poker strategy question, people will then definitely get interested and start talking it up. just like on 2+2.

morello
09-21-2004, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you might hear people talking about bruiser getting laid

[/ QUOTE ]

you're missing the word "not"!

MrDannimal
09-21-2004, 11:55 AM
There's a lot of value in the immediacy (that's spelled wrong) of real-time conversation.

I don't think it's better, but it's a good kind of different.

I'm not sure how a lecture would work. Maybe someone posts an article, and then 3-4 days later there's a set time to discuss it. Q&A would be cool, esp. if we could convince some of the bigger names to find some time.

JoeU
09-22-2004, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just log onto the IRC room and strike up some poker discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
if you just randomly go into the IRC channel,

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone explain how you do this? And, how does this differ from posting here?

Joe

daryn
09-22-2004, 01:54 AM
mike haven posted a great instructional post on how to get on the IRC channel. try doing a search for it... i would do it but i am so inept when it comes to the search function.

Dynasty
09-22-2004, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I, personally find, that a live discussion fosters much more debate and presents theory from better angles. But that's me, seeing as you and daryn (on irc) have raised the same concern, Ill scrap the idea unless I get some interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't scrap it just because I posted a question.

STLantny
09-22-2004, 03:09 AM
but....but....you are the dynasty.

Seriously though, i just kind of gave up on the idea, Ill keep looking at the post throughout the week and see if any interest is generated. If any of the more respected posters would like to give a lecture PM me. Id do it, but Im no good at poker.

JoeU
09-22-2004, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(note : this chatroom is not sanctioned officially by twoplustwo.com - it was set up by twoplustwo.com readers for those readers to chat live together - twoplustwo.com bears no responsbility for any content, or opinions expressed therein, in any way)

if everyone sets it up now and posts any difficulties here someone will sort it out for them, and you'll have everything standing by for immediate use whenever you want to chat about a topic or a particularly important game - obviously you can also call in any specific posters you want to chat to at any one-off or regular times

it's almost as easy as downloading a poker site and setting up an account - once it's done that first time it's always only a click or two away

maybe if we add "done it" or "need help" posts every now and then it will keep this post bumped for a while until everyone who wants it has it?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

this is what you do, step by step:

go to http://www.mirc.com

click Download mIRC

click mIRC 6.14 in {your country}

click Save

download to your chosen file (My Documents?)

click Open

it installs

click Finish

click desktop icon

click continue

complete your name, e-mail address, and nickname

click the sun icon beside Connect To Server

set IRC Server to "EFnet: Random Server" (scroll down to it)

click Connect To Server

i received a couple of no connection messages here, but clicked OK, and it connected after a short time

you get a pop-up window for mIRC Favorites

click Add

in Add Channel pop-up window enter #twoplustwo in Channel (the # is important)

check Join On Contact

click OK

select #twoplustwo now showing in Channel List

double-click on it

any time you get lost, click on Favorites in the main mIRC window and double-click on #twoplustwo again

there are usually dozens of twoplustwoers logged in

once you have set up the above, it is easy to get in and out with only a click or two

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the instructions Mike Haven posted after a quick search. I am copying them and pasting them here for everyone. They were in the internet forum.

Joe