PDA

View Full Version : risky hand - great payoff, but did I play it right?

young nut
09-20-2004, 10:43 PM
This was a very interesting hand from a 10/1 PP multi table. I don't have the hand history, but I remember pretty much all of the action.

10 handed , BB=100, Hero is on the Button. Hero's stack is 3700

Hero is dealt 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

All folded to MP1(1700) who calls 100
CO(2000) raises to 300
Hero(3700 calls 300 ( I figured good position with suited connectors, might as well call)
SB(3100) calls 300
BB (1500) calls 300
Mp1 raises to 500
everyone calls

(the Mp1 raise confused me, a little 200 raise seemed a little awkward, but no one pushed, so I figured 200 more to call into a 2300 pot isn't bad)

flop:
9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks
BB bets all in (1000 chips)
folded around to me, where I reluctantly called considering I had the correct pot odds to call my flush draw.

SB then reraises all in 1200 more, which would leave me with about 400 chips left if my flush didn't hit. I put SB on a set or two pair, but I felt like I had to call considering I had put almost 2/3 of my stack into the pot already, so I call.

SB shows Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif for two pair
BB shows A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif for a pair of jacks
Hero has 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for a flush or runner runner straight to split.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

River: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

and MHIG

This was a very big pot. It ended up being over 9300 or so, and put me in 2nd place in chips. But for some reason I kicked myself over this hand the entire tournament. I felt like I played it wrong somehow, but I knew the odds were correct for all of my calls (except maybe preflop) My reads were not that strong, so I figured I had to take a few risks. I guess I am just trying to get some comments on this hand. Did I play it correctly? Should I have laid down to the reraise by the SB on the flop? I know it is bad to put the majority of your chips in on a draw that early, but all the reraising kinda got me sucked in. All comments appreciated.

-youngnut

Rakkad
09-20-2004, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't have called preflop with those cards, even with position, then when it is reraised, I would probably fold.

I also don't like calling off the majority of my stack on a flush draw and the bottom side of a gut-shot.

Don't know what else to say, but I think you should have folded preflop.

betgo
09-21-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't agree he should have folded preflop. You are getting multiway action with a suited connector and you have the button, and investing less than 10% of your stack. The fact that is a raised pot is an advantage in some ways. With a suited connector you want to be up against good hands who will pay off your straight, flush, 2 pair, etc.

I don't think the play on the flop was bad. He was getting favorable odds when he put the money in.

young nut
09-21-2004, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree he should have folded preflop. You are getting multiway action with a suited connector and you have the button, and investing less than 10% of your stack. The fact that is a raised pot is an advantage in some ways. With a suited connector you want to be up against good hands who will pay off your straight, flush, 2 pair, etc.

I don't think the play on the flop was bad. He was getting favorable odds when he put the money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I figured, the odds were correct to call that 1k bet on the flop. It hurt to put that many chips in the pot on a draw, but it was a +EV move. I was pretty much committed to call the raise by the SB, seeing as that was 1k to call into a 5k pot.

I also figured the SB and BB would call preflop to make it multi way (they were very loose when on the blinds)

banditbdl
09-21-2004, 01:37 AM
I hate the first preflop call, 300 of your 3700 is just too much to call hoping to hit the flop hard (and hitting the flop hard for you most likely means making a strong draw, lest we forget). The 2nd preflop call, makes me want to punch myself for calling the original raise, but is automatic to call IMHO. I probably would have pushed after the BB bet on the flop, since it gives the SB a chance to fold (although in this case he clearly wouldn't have) and your gonna be pot committed to call any raise from the SB anyway, so you might as well do the pushing, not the calling.

cferejohn
09-21-2004, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the first preflop call, 300 of your 3700 is just too much to call hoping to hit the flop hard (and hitting the flop hard for you most likely means making a strong draw, lest we forget). The 2nd preflop call, makes me want to punch myself for calling the original raise, but is automatic to call IMHO. I probably would have pushed after the BB bet on the flop, since it gives the SB a chance to fold (although in this case he clearly wouldn't have) and your gonna be pot committed to call any raise from the SB anyway, so you might as well do the pushing, not the calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you hate when people respond to a post by saying "I agree" and add no new content? Well, that's what I'm doing.

I would have folded to the first preflop raise (though with deeper stacks I'd lean more and more towards call, especially if the other players were bad). You can't possibly fold to the min-reraise getting ~11:1 on the call.

If you are going to play the flop, you kind of need to push. Once you make the first call, you can't fold with what has to be a pretty reasonable number of outs, even if you don't necessarily know what they are.