PDA

View Full Version : Party Super Monday official thread

MrX
09-20-2004, 09:16 PM
I am in MrXrayMan Table 75

Good Luck, MrX

MrX
09-20-2004, 09:56 PM
was there a 2+2 boycott on the Super Monday at Party...is Monday Night Football that good tonight..TIVO it and watch it tomorrow.

MrX

RandR
09-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Guess everyone is watching the game. Ill be playing in the Super Tuesday /images/graemlins/grin.gif . Good luck MrX!

boedeker
09-20-2004, 10:09 PM
im in havent seen a flop yet. 1170 turning corner number 1.

Rakkad
09-20-2004, 10:11 PM
On table 11 940 at break.

Philuva
09-20-2004, 10:19 PM
I am out. I think in like 750th. I had AA and got it all in pre-flop against JJ. flop was J66. Oh well.

MrX
09-20-2004, 10:38 PM
aliens have taken over my body and are making these horrible plays. It is not me!

Not MrX

kickindickie
09-20-2004, 10:40 PM
please look at my "interesting hand" post, which is from tonights special.

MrX
09-20-2004, 10:51 PM
out in like 370th..I contend it was not me playing. I am embarrassed by my play tonight, and it has been awhile since I can say that.

I have a mantra.."be patient and be smart" and I let a cold deck make me forget it.

Man, I hate to lose, especially when I can only blame myself.

MrX

Rakkad
09-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Break two, 2457.

gergery
09-21-2004, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
out in like 370th..I contend it was not me playing. I am embarrassed by my play tonight, and it has been awhile since I can say that.

I have a mantra.."be patient and be smart" and I let a cold deck make me forget it.

MrX

[/ QUOTE ]

I played like complete [censored] tonight. Just awful. In all 3 of my tourneys. I had a cold deck too, but can't even blame that for most of my trouble. i am such a fish, very frustrating.

woodguy
09-21-2004, 12:51 AM
card dead all night, maybe can double up a couple of times.

I hate playing for 4 hours for $60....whee

regards,
woodguy

woodguy
09-21-2004, 12:53 AM
blah

cferejohn
09-21-2004, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
blah

[/ QUOTE ]

Beats being out right before it...

Any tournament you can walk away from...

cferejohn
09-21-2004, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

MrX

[/ QUOTE ]

I played like complete [censored] tonight. Just awful. In all 3 of my tourneys. I had a cold deck too, but can't even blame that for most of my trouble. i am such a fish, very frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has been there (and frankly, who hasn't), I think what you (and Mr X) do over the next week will determine what kind of player you are.

If you let your poor play tilt you into continuing to play badly for the next day, two days, week, or month, it will just get harder and harder for you to right yourself and make up for what you have lost. It is extremely tempting to try to dive right back in with a ticked off attitude where any kind of bad beat will completely tilt you. This can obviously just keep feeding on itself for a long long time.

If you force yourself not to play until you are *SURE* your head is clear, this will be no more than a blip on the radar. You could read (or re-read) some books, read and post here without playing for a while, or just take a break from anything at all poker-related for a week. Whatever you feel you need.

One of the things I like about tournaments is the limited liability. If you play a tournament (or even 2 or 3) poorly, and you are aware enough to catch yourself that day/night (as you have both done here), you probably haven't done any serious damage to your bankroll as long as you weren't playing way over your head or something. In a cash game, you can just keep pouring more and more money in, and not realize what has happened until you force yourself away from the table/computer or you run out of money.

I hope that didn't all sound preachy, but once you get to a certain level, most players know the right play to make most of the time (or if they make a wrong play, it isn't wrong by that much). At this point, avoiding this tilty frame of mind as much as possible is the difference beteen break even players and winning players.

Chris

gergery
09-21-2004, 03:47 AM
No, actually that isn't it.

I righted myself mostly, and played some ring games for a bit, not on tilt, won money like i usually do, and then the same problem came up --- part brain freeze, part poor judgment. A couple key errors at critical times. Errors of judgment or patience. I'm still new enough at poker that the right decision doesn't come naturally enough to me at the table. I feel i can give mostly good advice on these boards when there is no pressure, but at the table in a critical point, i'll do something that isn't terrible, but yet is fairly clearly not the right decision in retrospect.

The initial annoyance of a bad beat or fishy calling for a draw goes away relatively quickly, or if it doesn't or reoccurs like tonight in the ring game, then i just stop playing for a bit.

But the deeper frustration that stems from continuing to fishily calling on a draw half hour later when i am in happy zen poker mindset is what troubles me.

--Greg

woodguy
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
You're right.
Felt pretty drained for $60 profit and was grumpy. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

thanks,
woodguy