PDA

View Full Version : I need an online, poker tracker/stats, guru

Kevin J
09-20-2004, 08:24 PM
First of all, how big is a big enough sample size? Or, let me re-phrase that. How big is a big enough sample size before you can start to glean meaningful information about past results? I think that's more like what I really want to know. This is really perplexing me...

For my first 11,000 (tracked) 15-30 hands on Party Poker, I was up +2bb/100 hands. For my next 11,000 hands I was down -1.7bb/100 hands. That seems strange considering I'm the same guy. There are however, two unquestionable differences...

In the first 11,000 hands I played mostly single tables. Sometimes two, and once in a while 3. In the second 11,000 hands I was playing 2, 3, and 4 quite regularily. So I would love to believe that I've found my problem and it's as simple as that. However...

There's one other stat that really bothers me. My "final hands" for one pair and two pair are significantly different! In the first 11,000 hands I was up over 5k when I held one pair on the river (note: this statistic includes any one pair including if there's one on the board). I was up over 11.5k with final two pair hands.

In the second set of 11,000 hands I was stuck over 1k with final one pair hands, and was only up 6k on my final two pair hands. ??? I can't necessarily make a connection between these differences and playing multiple tables. Could not paying close attention the each individual game and/or not knowing my opponents cause my one pair and two pair hands to earn less $$? If so, how? Could it be that I just plain ran bad for the last 11,000 or good for the first 11,000?

Anyway, I'd like to say that multi-tabling has been my problem. It sure seems like it looking at my results. But to me, poker tracker is like reading a racing form. There is just TOO much information!! I don't know what's important and/or what to key in on. I've been racking my brain comparing stats to other players, i.e. pre-flop raise %, VP$IP, WTS, W$WSF, W$SD, etc. and I'm starting to think that most of these stats are merely reflective of playing "style" and are not necessarily indicative of what constitutes superior and/or flawed playing tendencies.

If anyone who knows which stats are important in Poker Tracker or can tell me if multi-tabling would reduce my final hand $$, I'd REALLY appreciate any input. I'm about to ash-can online poker. So far, it hasn't been worth my time and it certainly hasn't been worth the aggrevation of trying to figure out why I can't seem to pull way ahead once and for all. Thanks.

stoxtrader
09-20-2004, 09:14 PM
feel free to PM me any specific questions you may have, I have an extensive database for the 15.

In short though, a 2/100 winner and a 2/100 loser can end up WITH VERY SIMILAR stats. So the stats alone really can't help too much and may even hurt - i.e. - "I always lay down winner so I'll call this one down because my WtSD stat is too low" that kind of analysis doesnt work. Specific hand by hand (i.e. Axs and small pairs, etc.) analysis might be able to help I think, but im not even sure about that.

keep posting hands on a semi-regular basis and if you are within bankroll requirements, keep logging hands.

best,
stox.

elindauer
09-21-2004, 01:17 AM
I'd guess you were running very well the first 11K, given your results with one pair hands.

Good luck.
Eric

DeeJ
09-21-2004, 05:21 AM
My single pair figure is negative, always has been along with high card....

I agree that the stats don't tell you too much unless there is a gaping hole, the variance is too great to determine with any certainty over only 11k hands. I think reviewing hands which you think are questionable is the only way to go.

mike l.
09-21-2004, 05:53 AM
an interesting thing to look into would be how many times an A showed up on the turn and screwed you.

seriously though, im wondering why i ever bought poker tracker cause i cant figure out what any of that crap means. all i know is i suck online and im not happy about it. i keep loading my hands into poker tracker but nothing's changing... lmao.