PDA

View Full Version : tournament vs. ring game profitability.

axioma
09-20-2004, 07:12 PM
what are peoples thoughts on this? seems to me a winning player can make more in a good ring game than by playing in SnG's?

am i way off? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Eder
09-20-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm a ring game loser but very good ROI with SnG's...dunno why

meow_meow
09-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Obviously it depends on the limits, and relative abilities of the player at limit vs. stt's...

Roughly speaking, I'd say they can both be profitable.
I play party 5-10 6 max and I'm starting to dabble in the 100+9 SNGs - I'd say these are more of less equivalent in terms of bankroll requirements, and in terms of profitability with respect to "good play" benchmarks, i.e. ~3BB/100 at 5-10 and 30%ROI for the SNG (I have no idea whether I can personally make either of these numbers long-term...)

GoSox
09-20-2004, 08:15 PM
I've been contemplating the same. I have a better ROI on SNGs, however they are very difficult to use to clear bonus'es. So when I take my ring ROI and include the bonuses that becomes more profitable. I am also finding I enjoy the ring games more so as long as they are profitable that's where I'm staying. However, everytime I go through a bad run I go back and switch to SNGs for a while, I find that helps settle my game down.

booger
09-20-2004, 08:31 PM
I've kept track of my play for the last 14 months which is when i started. I started at .25/.50 limit and .50/1.00 limit. Dabbled in PL and NL and got spanked ...studied, studied, and have moved back to PL and NL and have shown moderate profits in the ring games but have been doing very well in sngs. Started at $5 then $10 and now $20. My last 120 sng have netted $633 with $1419 invested for a roi of 44.6%. This , I believe is due to the growing popularity of tournaments on tv. It was crazy on ps today, utg 2 raises 3BB , 1 call, I raise to 12 BB and both call. utg 2 had T3spades and hit boat, I had KK. Was down to 160 chips and made third, villian out of the money. There are awful players with cash which is a beautiful thing. I want to explore multi tabling but would like a set up where all tables are visible as opposed to popping up...any help appreciated at to how to accomplish this. Thanks in advance boog...I sng at pokerstars and PL25 at Party

axioma
09-20-2004, 09:02 PM
interesting. it seems that tournament no limit is the buzz game atm, tapping into that might be a good thing.

you can right click on you task bar and select tile windows to see multiple tables at once.

bunky9590
09-20-2004, 09:15 PM
I have an awesome rate of return in NL cash games.

hovering around 20BB/100 in the 100 and the 200 NL.

Closer to 6BB/100 on the 400. Its a much tougher game on average.

When I do play SNG I usually do well, though I don't play them often. Last 10 SNG. 4 wins 2 seconds 1 3rd and 3 DNC.
Small sample size though. Plus they are only the 10+1 so Its kinda like wiffle ball.