PDA

View Full Version : Folding a flopped flush

04-04-2002, 06:12 PM
I was playing the other day and saw, for the first time ever, a player lay down a made flush on the flop.

Action was as follows:

6 way limped action (15/30, loosish home game), flop comes 8-J-K. SB bets, called by BB(who has 4-6, for nut flush), raised by semi-maniac, all fold to SB who reraises. BB ponders, folds, called by semi maniac. I believe the remainder of the hand was checked down, but it doesn't really matter. His flush would have held up.

Question: Is there any situation, in LIMIT poker, where you would throw away a flush on the flop? I'm assuming that the players are not total rocks who only bet nut hands. All the players involved in this hand, including the folder, make 4 flush/straight draw bets on a routine basis.

Also, when three high cards of a suit flop, isn't it more likely that any made flush will hold up? Only playable hands are AQ,Q10,109 (Suited Ace too). Or am I totally off base here?

Tim

04-04-2002, 07:05 PM
Believe it not I see this often in $4-8 along with made straights too. Doesn't make sense to me. What do they want out of their hands that they stayed for?

The only time I would do it is if there were four to my flush on the board, some action and I had 32 or some such. jmo

04-04-2002, 07:07 PM
How can 46 make a nut flush?

Pre-flop there's a 1 in 17 chance of being dealt a hand with the 2 cards of the same suit, so it's not that likely to be up against another made flush.

Your flush would be less likely to hold up with 3 on the flop than with 2 on the flop, because in the latter case, you could only make it on the turn or river. If you make it on the river, it doesn't have to hold up. If you make it on the turn, it only has to hold up 1 round instead of 2.

The biggest danger to the flush is losing to a bigger flush if the same suit appears again on the turn or river. There's also 2 rounds for the board to pair and lose to someone filling up.

04-05-2002, 01:20 AM
Maybe now people should think about the hands they play. If there are willing to play 46 or any other garbage hand and then flop a flush then they should stick to the hand and see a showdown otherwise they should have thought about the possibility of greater made flushes before calling or limping with this hand.

-MJ

04-05-2002, 02:05 AM
yeah, what does he expect to flop with the 64s, quads???

04-05-2002, 05:17 PM
I had a situation when I should have folded a second nut flush (KQ) on the turn when the board paired little and most of the hands may opponnent would have called with beat mine.

It might be correct to fold a flush if there is a lot of action before you, which is probably the situation here, especially if that action is coming from solid players.

It doesn't seem correct with the maniacs you describe in the hand.

04-07-2002, 12:43 AM
when deciding if your hand is good you have to take into account the chances it can be outdrawn. here it may seem that any other flush card or maybe even a pair may spell doom for the small flush. so even if it is good now his equity may only be around say two thirds or less of the pot. and then subtract that he may already be beat, you can fold as the pot isnt huge yet.

04-09-2002, 07:18 PM
In defense of the 46, he was big blind in an unraised pot.