PDA

View Full Version : Announcing AA

beardy21
09-20-2004, 06:29 PM
im playing a $10 rebuy on 32 red. and i have AA in late position. I have 1K. Blinds are 50/100. UTG raises to 200 and UTG +1 raises to 300 and gets a mid position caller. I move all in and they all call. My odds with AA in a four way pot aren't very good. Do you think i should have announced my hand before moving all in in the chat box?

citanul
09-20-2004, 06:35 PM
No, that is retarded.
AA plays quite well with 4 players all in, against random hands, against good hands, against pretty much anything.
To announce you have AA would then be stupid. The best possible result you can hope for here is that they all call.
The worst that can happen is that you lose this enormous pot, and have to rebuy for another 10 bucks. (It looks like it's still in the rebuy phase.)
If you don't want to play this kind of pot, don't play rebuy events. Moreover, if you would ever consider announcing your AA preflop in such a situation, don't play poker.
I'm sure you lost the pot, and that sucks and all, losing with AA, but this sort of question is silly.

citanul

[edit: this probably belongs in the mtt forum]

MrFeelNothin
09-20-2004, 06:40 PM
rebuy tourney? I would LOVE a shot to quadruple up with AA, if it gets run down, oh well, it is a REBUY event after all, get some more chips and take another shot at it. Im pretty sure telling your opponent your cards is never +EV, it simply allows them to make the correct play against you, which you don't want.

MFN

citanul
09-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Yes. This seems to be the most simple application of the fundamental thm of poker ever.

Also, to top it off, 1000 chips is probably what you get for a rebuy, so losing and rebuying will leave you in exactly the same chip shape.

citanul

Rococo
09-20-2004, 06:52 PM
There may be less variance playing AA against one opponent rather than three, but I'm not sure that the EV is greater HU than it is with 3 opponents (especially with the yahoos you see in rebuy tournaments). Morever, the EV surely exceeds the blinds in both cases.

citanul
09-20-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm sorry, your post doesn't make much sense to me.

If you're saying AA plays better against 1 opponent than 3, I'll agree.

If you're saying that this means he should announce his AA, that's not so good. I don't think this is what you're saying. If you're saying that in a rebuy he shouldn't be getting a hardon from everyone calling all in when he has AA preflop, well, I mean, that's just what gives you a hardon, but he should clearly be happy about it.

It may be that upon announcing his hand, one of his opponents or more, in sequence, run to twodimes and find out they are getting proper odds to draw, and call, but I think that most people would probably assume he's lieing, and if everyone miraculously assumed he was telling the truth, they'd probably fold, making his decision lousy.

I don't think that announcing the hand can possibly do anything good.

citanul

poboy
09-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Yes you should announce your hand, just to make sure everyone calls you. Why would you not want to be called holding the best possible hand? If you don't understand this you will never do well at poker.

meow_meow
09-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Maybe not a good idea in this situation, but I think everyone's being a bit shortsighted saying you should never announce. Even in this case it isn't that bad, and it will cut your variance.
Lets say your opponents have decent hands, like for example AQs, 88, TT. You're about 53-60% favorite, for an EV of about +1200-1400, whereas if announcing gets them all to fold, you win 800...if you are ok with giving up the extra EV for the huge cut in variance (to zero), then fine.

Percula
09-22-2004, 05:02 AM
Just because you tell the table you have AA, doesn't mean a single one is going to take you at your word. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

More likely than not, none are going to believe you and be more likely to call. Which of course can be of value to you. Anytime you can manipulate your competition into doing something in your favor, that is +EV.

Just be aware of the rules of where ever you are playing, some places (B&M) and some online consider this "out side" the rules.