PDA

View Full Version : Two examples where selective aggression won me the pot, or...

MoreWineII
09-20-2004, 04:20 PM
...two examples where I spewed chips and got lucky?

Table is loose passive-ish. Suits are unimportant in either hand.

Hand 1: Hero has 88 on the button. 3 limpers, hero raises. BB calls.

4 to flop: A-10-4. Checked to hero who bets, 2 callers.

Turn: unimportant blank. Checked to hero who checks. Should I have bet here?

River: 8. One bet, one fold, hero raises, villian calls.

MHIG. Villian mumbles.

Hand 2: Replace 8's with 5's and the hand is virtually the same.

More mumbling.

g00t at such a LooPy table? Should I have bet the turn(s)?

lil'
09-20-2004, 04:24 PM
I don't see the point in a pre-flop raise with 3 limpers. 8-8 and 5-5 are not hands I want to play with 3 opponents. Limping and playing for the set with 5 opponents makes much more sense.

Surfbullet
09-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Looks okay to me...

I don't bet the turn in those situations unless I have reads on particular players being the type who will call a bet with anything on the flop but who give up on the turn.

Good job rivering sets...I've got to get way better at that. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Surf

Surfbullet
09-20-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
8-8 and 5-5 are not hands I want to play with 3 opponents. Limping and playing for the set with 5 opponents makes much more sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call - I didn't think about preflop thoroughly enough when he said "the same." I would just call with 55. I'd probably raise with 99, maybe 88 if I felt that players were very loose in their limping standards.

Surf

Haupt_234
09-20-2004, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't raise preflop in either case, like lil' said.

Also, I would be 50/50 about betting the flop for a free card and the chance to take it down OR checking to see a free turn card. It would suck to get checkraised on that flop with 88 and I don't think it's worth any more investment after missing your set.

Haupt_234

MoreWineII
09-20-2004, 04:32 PM
With the 55, I think you have a point. However, 88 *at this particular table* was a hand that I felt had a good chance to hold up w/o making a set.

Preflop, the table was normal & very decent actually.

Post-flop it was a whole different story. For example, one gentleman threw away a pair jacks (allegedly) when I raised a flop of: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif when I held AQ /images/graemlins/club.gif He was closing the action, even.

He "knew" I held aces.

At a table that passive, shouldn't I be pressing my small advantages?

lil'
09-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Raising 8-8 is not as bad as the 5-5. I suggested limping with the 8-8, because you may outflop 3 guys on a garbage flop like 2-4-9, but that means they will all call with their various overcards, because they are sucky low limit players. If you feel they will fold quickly if they miss, then I don't mind it as much.

MoreWineII
09-20-2004, 04:37 PM
At what point should I be playing these hands aggressively from the button then? 1 limper? 2 limpers? 0 limpers?

How different is 55 from 88 in a situation like this? What about 99? 10-10?

I'm genuinely curious as my standard play has always been to just limp in most of these situations.