PDA

View Full Version : Sly's 2k Sept. challenge days 16-19.

SlyAK
09-20-2004, 02:56 PM
On my last post I was cruising along having already made my goal...... then this weekend happened.

Thursday- Another great night, despite dropping a stack early on against an aggressive player who flopped a straight vs. my 2 pair, I managed to come back for a big night. I flopped a full house against a HUGE stack who was literally a 'betting machine'. He would bet no matter what unless someone showed resistance, so I slowplayed to the river, and by then he had virtually put me all in. I had another hand were a guy called $25 PF with K9o vs. my AA, and decided that he was ahead when the flop came K high. After this and a few other hands I finished the night up $434.78, nearly up $2700 for the month.

Friday- The collapse begins.... Nothing really horrible here, I ran a little cold, but had one bad beat. ( I know, but since this is kind of a journal I think I can get away with it ).

I had QQ and made it $10, and got 2 callers. The board was Q524 after the turn and I moved in and was called. The river was a 3... and my opponent took it down with AK. I wasnt too thrilled with this one, and I played the hand pretty aggressively, I think most people would have figured that there A/K outs were no good. I finished Friday down $264.09.

Saturday/Sunday- Saturday I played for a couple hours but broke nearly even, I was down a bit, then up a bit, but I never had a big hand. Sunday- During the afternoon, I decided to play the $50+$5 tournament. Just after the reload period is over I was dealt QQ on the button. I have $4200 (about average in chips). And the villain in the hand has me covered. Villain has been loose and has a big stack from going all-in PF w/ 77 and doubling up against 99, when he hit quads. He has made other marginal plays and I have seen him showdown some pretty marginal hands.

Blinds are 100/200, and 3 people limp to villain. Villain makes it 600... (PP or 2 face cards is my best guess). I make it 1800, maybe I should just push? All fold to villain who calls.

Flop: K55.... villain checks and I go all-in. I actually thought he would call me with several hands that I beat here, mainly PP's 66 to JJ, this guy was pretty loose. Anyway, he calls with AK and I am gone. Pretty dissapointing since this was my first tournament in several weeks. I played some ring games during this time as well, and managed to burn another $50 or so.

Sunday night I went back to the tables and things really went bad. I flopped a full house with 66.... and ended up losing to AJ... on a board of 633JJ... I tried to check raise the flop since there were 5 people in the hand, but that failed, and the hand went downhill from there.

I was dealt several premium hands and lost with all but one of them. (One time I won the blinds with KK). I lost with my QQ vs. AA... when the AA slow-played PF. Fortunately he was short-stacked and that wasnt too big a hit. Finally on the last hand of the night I was dealt KK again. I managed to get it all-in PF vs a fairly aggressive opponent who had...... you guessed it AA. So, it was a miserable day for me, and I ended the Saturday/Sunday period down $484.26. I am glad that I quit when I did though, because I could sense that major tilt would start at any time. This is one reason that I made a "reasonable, if not fairly easy goal". To work on the long-term and fighting through losing streaks. This type of run has done me in in the past when I get too desperate to make the money back quickly. Hopefully by playing solid poker I can pull out of the slump soon. I had been running well all month so I really cant complain too much!!

So, after being nearly $700 above my goal, I am now a little bit back below the $2,000 mark.

Monthly winnings to date: $1,941.42....

Comments appreciated.

Sly