PDA

View Full Version : Flopping a Monster - How to Extract Value?

Tron
09-20-2004, 02:28 PM
How did I do on this one? Is there anything I could have done to have gotten some mo' money?

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Thanks Bison (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 folds, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

River: (5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

zuluking
09-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Is this a trick question?

xanderm
09-20-2004, 02:33 PM
bet the flop.

Entity
09-20-2004, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did I do on this one? Is there anything I could have done to have gotten some mo' money?

[/ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop would be a start.

Then betting / raising the turn. Then betting the river.

People are more likely to call with weak hands on the flop than they are on the turn. You probably only missed 1-1.5BB here, but it adds up over time. Don't try to get tricky. Just bet.

Rob

MagicRat
09-20-2004, 02:35 PM
I don't know if it would have gotten you any more $$ but once the flop is checked around to you I think you have to bet here. You're likely to still get some calls for just 1 SB and if not, you weren't gonna make $$ on this hand anyway. Also, I'd hate to see a 10 or J fall for free that might leave you with a split pot.

frank_iii
09-20-2004, 03:07 PM
I agree with the others. Bet the flop. Hope someone has a nice 2nd hand. It's unlikely that the players who would fold to a flop bet wouldn't just fold on the turn, too. Plus, you'll earn a few bets from the people who will call a small bet to see one more card.

k000k
09-20-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People are more likely to call with weak hands on the flop than they are on the turn. You probably only missed 1-1.5BB here, but it adds up over time. Don't try to get tricky. Just bet.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that if you DO bet the flop and get a few callers, there'll be more $$ in the pot, which will encourage more calling later.. If there was 6BB in the pot instead of 3, you mighta got another caller or 2 on the turn. A lot of players will chase for 1 SB what they won't for 1 BB. I understand you want to let players improve a little, but if anyone misses this flop, it's a hella scary flop.. That turn ace didn't help anything. Noone had anything, so you got no action.. Them's the breaks,

challenger84
09-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Here's how to extract maximum value from your great hands:

bet/raise/cap flop
bet/raise/cap turn
bet/raise/cap river

As a great NPA once said "They will call. They don't know they're drawing dead. Even if they did, half of them would probably still call." Or something like that.

bisonbison
09-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Fold preflop. Your flop check is an abomination.

easypete
09-20-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. Your flop check is an abomination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm.... Fold preflop w/ 3 limpers and position? In a .5/1? I would much rather it be on the button, but I'm still limping here.

As for the flop.... BET!!!! While limping/folding here is a close decision.... Checking/Betting the flop is NOT even Close!!! BET! The turn card is beautiful for you... if someone has an Ace, the will probably c/r you (so you can 3-bet).

radek2166
09-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Wheres the monster?

Tron
09-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Harsh words... But they are all greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for their responses. Except maybe the sarcastic ones. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tron
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Luckily I had a chance to take all your advice today... I think I did MUCH better...

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB (poster) checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB calls.

River: (12 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls $0.65 (All-In).

Final Pot: 15.65 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB has Jd Td (one pair, tens).
Hero has Ks Jh (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 15.65 BB. </font>

Goon2
09-21-2004, 02:23 PM
The more bluffing succeeds on the WSOP telecasts, the more times we see this terrific play from the fish.

frank_iii
09-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Well done. You might have a few people suggesting a raise first in from MP2, though.