PDA

View Full Version : between a rock and a hard place

CASHIZ
09-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Had a hand that kind of put me between a rock and a hard place. UB sit n go,tell me what u think, how would u play it.
(first post not to sure how to work everything, just bare with me.)

I'm on the button with a,k of hearts got about 900 in chips
and the blinds are still low at 10-20. Under the gun folds, seat 2 folds,CO calls, I CALL (knowing a raise will either win me 40 or any calls will be from pairs to hands i got dominated, a-10 ect.. so i figure a trap is best), SB raises 20, the two of us call.

Now the flop comes K 9 7 all dimonds,SB bets 20, CO calls, I raise 210 trying to kill the draw. they both call. Now i'm sure neither has flush( because with an ace the CO would have raised and the SB's bet tells me he's not there yet), but i know that they go to far with draws, and with draws they'll bet the minimum (the weak players usually do)
On the turn a heart comes and again the SB bets 20, CO calls, and because of the draw and size of pot i move in for about 510. As expected SB folds but the CO calls and turns over a set of 7's to take it down.

Now the way i see it is that with the flush out there's no way he could rule out the possiblity of me having it with my call pre flop then my big raises afterwards.But that's besides the point, what I'm really trying to figure out is if u guys think i'm in trouble from the start and should just call it down and if the flush gets filled fold, or is there anyway you see I get away from this sooner. AS you can see no matter what happens in this hand I lose, weither it's by the flush making it, witch in turn we all fold to SB. Or by showndown with CO and his set.

Just one more thing relating to this, I've been thinking about trouble hands, and what I mean is considering the blinds and situation discribed, even say I have aces, is folding the best option with two or three callers on the turn after everyone has shown interest in the pot with possible draws and maybe two pair or sets. Can this hand only be played by scraficing all my chips, therefore maybe passing is best option.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the sloppy post.

MrFeelNothin
09-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Preflop-AK on button is a must raise, go to about 3-4x the BB at least. You're right- calls will be most likely from pairs or dominated hands- isnt this a good thing?

Flop- You have TPTK on a monochrome board. I think it is definitely worth a raise on the flop, but I definitely don't want to play for all my chips on this hand so I would slow down when I get two callers on my overbet of the flop.

Turn- First of all, you can't say neither of them has the flush, I could see a made flush as a very likely hand the way the CO played the flop, however, even if they don't have a flush they could easily have twopair or a set that beats your one pair. Your raise on the flop would have bought the pot against two heart draws, I think you have to put one or both on made hands and check the turn. Check/call or check/fold the river depending on how big a bet you have to face. Definitely check/fold if the 4th diamond hits.

Overall, you definitely overplayed this hand(with the exception of PF which should have been a clear raise).

CASHIZ
09-20-2004, 09:04 PM
you don't think trying to trap here's good, i got postion in a short handed pot with the blinds at 10-20 raising would alert any a or k in the pot taking away there aggression if it hits.

And your right i definitly over played it. Played it way to fast.

michaliv
09-24-2004, 02:09 PM
You do not have a hand to trap with. AA or KK you may just limp here, but you do not have a made hand yet. If you raise preflop, they cannot know if you have AA, AK or any other hand. I would rather take down a small pot than no pot at all. Also you are giving the BB infinite odds to draw out on you.