PDA

View Full Version : A-8s

MLG
09-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Final table of a stars rebuy (the afternoon variety so while its still a monstrosity its not as unwieldy as the evening version). 6 of us left and I am the 2nd short stack with about 280k. Blinds are 20k-40k and most of the table is shortish, and pretty much every hand is raise and take it (although interestingly enough there are almost no walks). So, im in for 20k when the button open raises for 120k. Is this an easy fold? I probably don't have enough chips to make the button fold here, but I could very well be ahead of his range of hands. Is this stop n go territory? I ended up folding, and never doubled up before going out 5th.

gergery
09-20-2004, 01:36 PM
I like stop n go, but I think you could make reasonable arguments for fold, call/push or raise. I think it depends on how likely BB will call, and what range of hands you think button would raise with, what the button thinks of the BB, and the BB’s stack size.

Pushing: I’d give an openraise from the button 6-handed a wider range of hands, maybe any ace, any pair, KT+, K8s+, maybe worse. A8s has decent equity vs. this:

A8s has 47% equity vs. any pair, any ace

Since I’d figure he’s got slightly wider range than this, you’re likely ahead of his range of hands, and getting 1.2 to 1 overlay. Additionally, he might fold maybe ~10-20% of time if he’s got crap or reads you for very strong. You also don’t let the BB in, who is getting 3:1 if you call.

Fold: A8s is good but not great, and you’ll get a better hand or chance to get money in pot first in the next orbit or so. You still have time at 7xbb, and can avoid a likely race.

Stopn Go: They are likely to miss the flop and you don’t really want to battle if you can avoid it. And if BB does come in, your equity 3-way is ok, and you have a good chance to hit big money if you win, but only lose alittle $EV if you go out.

--Greg