PDA

View Full Version : Uncertainty all over the place

hockey1
09-20-2004, 09:49 AM
3 Hands for review from yesterday. All comments appreciated.

HAND 1

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Qd Tc (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.50 BB. </font>

HAND 2

The preflop 3-bet here was to isolate (UTG raised J8o UTG+1 the previous hand)

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (11.66 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.83 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.83 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.83 BB

Hero has Ac Jd (two pair, kings and jacks).
MP3 has Ah Ts (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.83 BB. </font>

HAND 3 -- Did I do anything right here?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, SB folds.

River: (6.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Hero has 9c Ac (one pair, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.50 BB. </font>

rory
09-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Hand #1:
Well played.
Hand #2:
I don't like 3 betting to isolate here-- just fold and
wait for a better spot. Even though UTG may be raising light you only have AJo, and are in EP. The rest of the hand is OK.
Hand #3:
I don't like raising UTG+1 w/ A9s. I usually just fold it or limp. But if I raise here I bet the flop every time. The way you played it, a river bet is good-- a better ace might fold which is a huge coup.

astroglide
09-20-2004, 11:34 AM
1: fine. calling the flop is fine too, it depends on the level of aggression you're seeing.

2: not good. were you afraid of JT, and then afraid of a king? threebet the flop or do something on the river

3: too early for a raise. bet the flop. you got really fortunate that you were only facing a diamond draw on this one. most of the time when you check the flop and bet the turn, you will get called by any piece of anything. good when you flop a monster, not good when you have 3 opponents with up to 6+ outs each.

hockey1
09-20-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3: too early for a raise. bet the flop. you got really fortunate that you were only facing a diamond draw on this one. most of the time when you check the flop and bet the turn, you will get called by any piece of anything. good when you flop a monster, not good when you have 3 opponents with up to 6+ outs each.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going in a whole other direction with this one. The flop was so ugly for me -- after my preflop raise was called in three places -- that I was willing to just give up on the hand. When the flop was checked through, I decided to bet in the hope that my opponents had nothing and were reading my flop check as AA or KK or AK. Not a play I make very often, but every once in a while, with an uncoordinated board like this and a blank on the turn, I figure it's worth a shot.

CDs_Nts
09-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Hand 1- You were ahead the whole way and you should've checked the river to induce a bluff. JT is the only hand you're betting against for value, but maybe you got a QT to fold. I still say check.

Hand 2- Fold preflop, but since you didn't do that I think you played it fine.

Hand 3- Odd hand. You probably got a couple of better aces to fold, so I think you played it well. I still probably bet the flop because there's only 1 scare card out there. Usually I'll let it go if there's two broadway cards in your situation.

Ulysses
09-20-2004, 01:58 PM
I agree w/ most of the comments you've already received. One add'l point. Hand 3, I'd check-call the river.

Ulysses
09-20-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You probably got a couple of better aces to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think that?

CDs_Nts
09-20-2004, 02:46 PM
2 cold calls from MP and one from the small blind preflop. For the sake of argument let's assume the sb has crap. what is the range of hands that MP1 is calling the turn and folding the river with? I don't see him laying down a medium pocket pair and he would've bet the flop with a flush draw, and I suppose maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe 67s is a possiblity with a gutshot. What does he have? I would guess AT or AQ and you convinced him you were slowplaying the flop, unless he had a flush draw and played it like a sissy on the flop. I suppose MP2 could've had QJs or JTs and it's good you bet the turn, but I still say an ace is more likely, or middle suited connectors are possible also. I just don't think it's likely that you were ahead the whole way with A9 and got 2 cold callers. Although it is party and A4, A6, A7, A8 are possible. Let me qualify my statement by saying I think he got at least one higher ace to fold.