PDA

View Full Version : Need Help late in tournaments

bender330
09-20-2004, 06:40 AM
I was in a 15 man $25 buy in tournament (not online). The format was starting with 1000 chips, blinds start at 5/10, they go up every 20min. Anyways Here's a summary of events leading to my demise:

Right away I win a few pots ramping up to 1200.

Some guy calls me down with bottom pair and he rivers 2 pair, down to 700.

At 25/50 blinds and me at 600 I go all in the BB with A-A (after several calling the bb) Someone with Q-Q calls and I'm back up to around 1400.

I pick up K-8s (we're down to 10, one more and we merge) and I raise, one caller. Right away I put him on ace-small kicker. So the flop comes Q-Q-A. I bet out, and he slowly calls. turn is a 4 and I bet again and he calls. I'm down to about 700, and basically I didn't fire the third shell (all-in) because I thought I had a better shot at winning, because I could still comeback. So it went check-check, he showed me A-3 and took it (I'm pretty sure he would've folded if I did go all in).

Anyways we merge to the final 9. I pick up 6-6 in the BB after several callers, I go all in and A-10 calls me, and I double through. Back to around 1400ish. At this point I'm feeling real good about not bluffing on the river with K-8 moments before.

After another round I find A-9 in the bb, and check (4 callers). Flop is 2-3-9 2 hearts (not relevant for me). I bet 300 (fairly large). One person calls, and he's obviously on the flush draw. The turn is a black Ace and I go all in. He ponders for a LONG time and says "this could be the $150 card"...and calls. He shows A-5 of hearts. River is a 9 and just like that I double through again, and have around 3100.

Things are looking great, I'm THE chipleader and People are afraid of me. After a few rounds of blinding down I'm down to like 2400, and eventually after one caller I raise 600 (blinds were 100/200) with K-6o...the guy in the SB folded, and the original caller pitched his 10-10 and I picked up a nice steal....but from there I just died. I blinded down and couldn't get anything together. Basically I need advice for late stages in the tournamet. I ended up getting 4th, which I was upset about since I was looking so well earlier. Should I have made more big steals like I did with K-6...should I have been involved more and went for the win? I'm fairly tight to begin with so did I just never switch up gears at the right time? I'd like to hear some criticsm please.