PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to avoid falling into this trap?

parappa
09-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Have put the results in because they're relevant. Should I be anticipating this from the passive play? Is this like set over set, something that you don't worry about in Party's fast structure?

(10+1)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed)

BB (t1560)
Hero (t2065)
MP (t1240)
Button <font color="purple">(Aces-Slowplaying Villain)</font> (t2325)
SB (t810)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, MP folds, Button <font color="purple">(Aces-Slowplaying Villain)</font> calls t300, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t750) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets t800, Aces-Slowplaying Villain calls t800.

Turn: (t2350) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t965 (All-In)</font>, Aces-Slowplaying Villain calls t965.

River: (t4280) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4280

eastbay
09-20-2004, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have put the results in because they're relevant. Should I be anticipating this from the passive play? Is this like set over set, something that you don't worry about in Party's fast structure?

(10+1)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed)

BB (t1560)
Hero (t2065)
MP (t1240)
Button <font color="purple">(Aces-Slowplaying Villain)</font> (t2325)
SB (t810)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, MP folds, Button <font color="purple">(Aces-Slowplaying Villain)</font> calls t300, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t750) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets t800, Aces-Slowplaying Villain calls t800.

Turn: (t2350) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t965 (All-In)</font>, Aces-Slowplaying Villain calls t965.

River: (t4280) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4280

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's probably wrong to lay it down in a $10+1. You're probably up against KQ or KJ as often or more than you're up against AA.

In a 10+1, you'll even see people calling off all their chips chasing the flush.

On the other hand, if you have a read on this guy as solid, or at a higher buy-in, alarm bells go off on the flop call. Not that you can still get away from it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

eastbay

MrFeelNothin
09-20-2004, 05:10 AM
I too would be scared of the flop flat-call, but by that point the pot is so big I can't really see folding as a legitimate option. Unlike the other AK flopped top pair situation you posted, this one has to be played fast and the high blind structure doesnt allow room to lay it down IMO.

Jman28
09-20-2004, 05:13 AM
Nothing you can do.

I would never get away from this one.

I might have bet a tiny bit less on the flop, and then less on the turn, but he would've put me all in and I would've called it.

jsmith5
09-20-2004, 07:47 AM
hard to put him on AA if you're holding one already. i think sklansky points out that a call instead of a raise could be a small-medium pair, and a flat call on the flop could mean he hit his set and wants to milk it for all it's worth. not sure you can get away from AK here though, especially on party since i've seen people allin with K-10 (typing "but they were suited!") in this situation. not sure how you could put him on a bigger hand then yours here. i think you played it right. even if he reraises you on the flop all-in, are you going to lay it down?