PDA

View Full Version : Tight Game-Loose Blinds

Danenania
09-20-2004, 02:55 AM
For a game that plays relatively tight (i.e. few coldcalls, few limpers, flop is often seen 2-4 handed) but tends to have loose blinds who will defend with a wide range of hands even against an UTG raise, what are the proper strategy adjustments? I have been seeing a lot of 3/6 and 5/10 games lately that take on these characteristics during off hours. I know they are still quite profitable mostly because of the poor play of the blinds, but my strategy for them still needs some work.

Assume that once these blinds have defended, they will play poorly after the flop, tending to go too far with their hands. Also assume that when the SB defends, he usually doesn't 3-bet, but coldcalls, allowing the BB along for the ride too.

Games like this seem a little tricky in that while raises will limit the field, they don't have much chance of taking down the blinds. There is also a new aspect of difficulty involved with postflop play when you flop badly with hands like QJo or 55 after you openraise from LP. Many players will simply call you down with TP and A-high alike giving you no clue as to where you stand.

Thus it seems that while the tightness of the game should cause you to raise legitimately with more hands, the looseness of the blinds should cause you to steal-raise with less.

Any thoughts on this issue?

thirddan
09-20-2004, 04:42 AM
Not sure if this applies, but you might want to check out the section on shorthanded play in HPFAP, i think there is a section about playing against loose blinds...It says that you should limp with hands that are not obvious raises on the button since you cannot steal the blinds...