PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Slowplay Here?

Dov
09-19-2004, 11:14 PM
$5+1 MTT at Poker Room - 500 Players, 425 left, Blinds are 25/50

Hero is BB with QJ

Flop comes ATK rainbow.

Hero (T1290) checks, UTG (T4180) bets 100, folded to MP2 (T1340) who raises to 250, folded to BUTTON (T1150) who calls, Hero goes All In.

Everyone folds except MP2 who calls the All In.

MP2 shows AT for 2 pair. No one improves. MHIG.

Anyone else slowplay this here to get the button in too? Or is that a little too greedy. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

young nut
09-19-2004, 11:36 PM
personally i would have waited til the turn to go all in. get a few more bets your way on the turn then push. This might make the other players feel pot committed and call.

Dov
09-19-2004, 11:40 PM
I really didnt think about it until after i made the move. Thought I'd put it here. I still have mixed feelings, though, because if I did get sucked out on, it would have ended me right there.

77rules
09-20-2004, 03:12 AM
I think the general advice regarding slow play is you have to have a very strong hand, while a free card should have a good chance of making your opponent a second best hand but not a better hand.

To my mind, the nut str8 on a rainbow flop easily qualifies. If that isn't a slow playing hand, I don't know what is.

And of course, there's a risk involved. If it weren't, then you'd never ask the question of when to slowplay.

SossMan
09-20-2004, 03:25 AM
I usually don't like slowplaying, since too often it gives your hand away if you show strength on the turn (or a scare card comes that either prevents you from betting or prevents your opponents from calling), but this is a pretty good case. You still have the original bettor on your left still to act, and he might jack it up and trap some people inbetween. I would flat call, and see what develops. If the UTG reraises, I'm pushing when it gets to me. If he calls, I will ch-raise all in on any turn card.

Jason Strasser
09-20-2004, 04:16 AM
Player A bets, player B raises, player C flat calls, you are player D with a hand.

Which player scares you most?

Shove the flop, for me it is more deceptive and probably more likely to get action from good opposition. Good play, glad you got called and glad you held up.

Dont be greedy, generally on the flop in a multi-way pot is not the time to do so.
-Jason

gergery
09-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Getting more chips in the pot is a very positive EV play here, and my only concern. I bet whatever I think will cause the most chips to go in the pot, probably a minraise to 500. Even tho they値l be very suspicious, they likely can稚 pass up the pot odds. Then they値l be trapped when you push on turn for another 700 into a pot of 1300.

I think you win lots more chips if you convince everyone else to get all their chips in here, even tho you値l lose to a set/twopr filling up occasionally, and will chop once in a while.

SossMan
09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting more chips in the pot is a very positive EV play here, and my only concern. I bet whatever I think will cause the most chips to go in the pot, probably a minraise to 500. Even tho they値l be very suspicious, they likely can稚 pass up the pot odds. Then they値l be trapped when you push on turn for another 700 into a pot of 1300.

I think you win lots more chips if you convince everyone else to get all their chips in here, even tho you値l lose to a set/twopr filling up occasionally, and will chop once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I like that line, too. Gives one pair hands too good of odds to hit their 5 outer (so they think, hehehe)

Jason Strasser
09-20-2004, 09:27 PM
I really don't like this line.

I would also think it is a really bad line to take against good players. I mean, how many hands besides the nuts would you play like that? Is it good to show your hand like that?

I cant think of a single one-pair hand any competent player could hold that would pay you off.

Two pair hands and sets will call the all-in anyhow. What if you min raise, and a set calls, then a straight card comes on the turn? Won't that kill your action?

gergery
09-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Depends on your table for sure. Against very good players like you play with Strassa, it's probably best to push, as 1 pairs will fold to any action here, while you get the twopair/sets. I've been playing mostly $30s, and see lots of fish call this.

Its a trade off, the chances you hit a straight card will kill action from sets/twopair (usually, sometimes set might stay if another is in), must be balanced against the number of times a pair+gut will call the minraise. Minraise wins for sure there i think.

It is a little concerning that i'm learning how to play poker badly however, or i mean, how to play against bad players.