PDA

View Full Version : how to handle the "grinders"

davieb
09-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I was playing in a low limit SNG and I was really surprised at how long this one ground out. I've never seen anything like it (I haven't been playing this all that long, but I've been in more than a few so far). When the blinds were up to 100/200 (and about to go up to 200/400), there were still 9 players left. The money just seemed to move around the table and there was no clear leader in chips (this I also found very odd). To make matters worse, I kept getting great hands like J-4 offsuit or even better, 5-7 offsuit. With some calling stations, I did find it hard to try to pull the trigger on a standard raise given the crap that I kept getting dealt. I think my best hand was a Qc-9c (the hand I finally said, screw it! and went in with) and I just really gave up and found another table. At the time, I'd gone down a fair bit because of the blinds and was in not so great shape. The bad cards I can handle, I've been through that before, but the thing that bothered me was the grinder that the game was.

After talking to a friend who has gone through something similar and being through another one kind of like it, we came up with a theory that some of these people just like to sit down for a fixed amount and squeeze as much poker out of this as they can, hence the length. It seems reasonable that this might be the case, and given that all three of the games occurred on a Friday night, that kind of cements it.

Aside from avoiding games on Friday night, how do the more experienced players handle these grinders? This stuff is happening at the $5 & $10 level, does this happen at the higher levels? Is this really as odd as it seems? Like I said, I've only seen it a couple of times now (the second one didn't grind on as long and it did reach a break point, although it was long before the 200/400 blinds). At this level, it's easier just to get it over with, get out and find another tournament, but is there another way to go at this? Is there a way to handle these table/player situations when they occur?

Any thoughts appreciated.

SmileyEH
09-19-2004, 11:14 PM
if you are a winning player you should be able to beat any (and i do mean any) line up of players at the $5 and $10 level. So you got a run of bad cards....big deal. Wait until you have your first 6-10 game OOTM streak before you begin complaining.

-SmileyEH

durron597
09-19-2004, 11:16 PM
If there are still 9 players left at 100/200 on a 10+1 on party, I would push every hand that's folded to me (including 72o) from the CO or later. The table is probably too tight to properly punish you for playing this way. And of course, move in with your real hands too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

davieb
09-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Woah, slow down there. I wasn't complaining at all and that was not the intent of my post. I asked for some advice on how to handle a situation like this because I am learning and trying to become a "winning player".

Let me reiterate, any *HELPFUL* comments in the context of my questions are appreciated.

davieb
09-19-2004, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there are still 9 players left at 100/200 on a 10+1 on party, I would push every hand that's folded to me (including 72o) from the CO or later. The table is probably too tight to properly punish you for playing this way. And of course, move in with your real hands too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is along the lines of what I thought about after (lousy hindsight...). As I mentioned, it's the first time I experienced something like this and didn't know how to handle it during. Afterwards, I thought, "heck, just go at them and grab a few blinds with whatever is there".

Geng
09-20-2004, 12:01 AM
Well actually I typically see the opposite problem. Case-in-point. $30, 10 person sit-and-go. 2nd hand - 4 people all in. Winner hits a set of K's to take it. 5th hand 3 people all in (including the guy that took the first batch of all in's) and he wins it again. So before we're even past the first level we're down to 5 players. Hard to overcome a 5:1 chip lead but I tried.

-Geng

reecelights
09-20-2004, 12:26 AM
I think loosen up your starting requirements and steal more, even with very marginal cards on the button, like your J4. Don't necessarily push, but maybe play a 72 and show it, just to tilt the table a little.

I'm surprised this happened on a Friday, I find more maniacs who are throwing money around and trying to get an adrenaline high on Fridays than grinders. I see them more on weekdays.

emp1346
09-20-2004, 02:25 AM
interestingly, would you rather play a table of grinders or maniacs?

hmmm...