PDA

View Full Version : Here's to you, Mr. Ciaffone

fimbulwinter
09-19-2004, 11:02 PM
After re-reading the Ciaffone NL book for the 100th time, i decided to give slow-playing aces a try again after reading the section where he discusses doing it against a raise from a tricky player. here's the hand, i think its weak tight and butchered on every street as this is my first try, so fire away, please.

Prima 25/50c blinds 50NL

Me(button)~65
Him(CO)~90

Reads: he's very laggy, and varies his preflop raises a ton, almost always in line with the strength of his hand, yet nobody's realized this at the table for some reason. he'll raise min with a small pair or suitedconnector, 4xBB with any two broadway, or 6xBB with AA/KK. always comes in for a raise except UTG, for some strange reason likes to limp there a lot, he's seeing 60-80% of flops. He's actually pretty good postflop, people seem to think that preflop psychosis means he's always bluffing and has been paid off nicely on a straight and two pair to get to 90.

Preflop:

I get A/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

two limp, he raises to $2, I call, all fold.

Flop: (pot about 6 bucks)

Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

he bets 6, I raise to 20, he calls. (i'm thinking flush draw here, possibly JT, maybe AQ). I've pushed him off TPTK before by raising flush draws, so he could think the same for me.

Turn: (pot about 45 bucks)

K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

He bets 50, I fold,

He shows...

fim

RYL
09-19-2004, 11:49 PM
QK or JT. Or maybe even a set.

bunky9590
09-20-2004, 08:45 AM
I dont know why your thanking Bob. He probably had AK and pushed you off.

Set him in on the turn, if your beat, your beat. But I have a strong feeling you got played here. If he's laggy I'm more inclined to push the turn even.

turkkito
09-20-2004, 09:11 AM
I don't like making this play against an opponen that could have a wide variety of hands. If you're against an opponent you can put to QQ/KK/AK or such, then I like the play better.

muzungu
09-20-2004, 09:52 AM
fimbulwinter-

As I recall, Ciaffone likes smooth calling AA when your raise of his presumed flop bet will be all-in. So, if the effective stack size were, say, $15 or $20 here, maybe this would make sense- he leads out on the flop for $5, you raise to $15ish and are all-in, and he'll probably call with a hand you are beating.

With the deeper stack sizes, you cannot get all-in on the flop witout making a huge overbet. And, without reraising preflop, the villain could have a wide range of hands, making it dangerous to commit with an overpair.

Also, Ciaffone says you should only slowplay AA when you are assured of it being heads up. There are 2 EP limpers that also could have called you and busted your overpair.

So this is not a good play for you...

-muz