PDA

View Full Version : Recognizing, and correcting our poor play

wilkcards
09-19-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm curious how many tournament players out there experience some of the frustration I do. While I do well in tourneys, and reach final tables fairly regularly I still find myself playing like a fool. Sometimes for extended periods of time.
When I'm playing my "A" game I reach the money in 75% of the tourneys I play, but occasionally I'll go a whole week without placing in the real money even once. I know I'm playing poorly when this is going on, but I often fail to correct the holes in my play.
I'm curious how other players deal with funks, and bad streaks.
Maybe I really shouldn't be compaining since I did win a good-sized multi earlier in the week, but I've literally given away my chips in several tourneys since then, including an ill-advised all in with 52os with 22 people left and a first place of 10,000.
Any advise, comments are appreciated.

Garland
09-20-2004, 12:06 AM
Not getting to the final table for a week shouldn't frustrate you. Erik Seidel didn't make a final table in a span of a year!

It goes to show that this game can be cruel for long, long stretches of time. Don't sweat it. It's a long term game.

As for final table poor play, I just suggest focusing more and taking more time to make decisions. This is where the money is made, and often times you can't even afford to make one mistake.

Garland

sloth469
09-20-2004, 12:08 AM
I hear ya. I've had quite a few final tables over the past 6 months but my highest finish is only 4th regardless of field and buy-in. Lately, I've been busting on every bubble I get to. I'm at the point where I'm ready to give up some +ev just to money and get some confidence back.

Of course we know coming in the swings possible in MTTs and we are still hooked w/ a jack threw each cheek.

Good Luck on your recovery.

-sloth

pshreck
09-20-2004, 12:20 AM
In my experience, correct tournament play will bring out a lot of frustration for long periods of time. But its still what you should be doing...

In the past month I have placed top 10 in 3 MTTs, including 1 second place for a few grand. I played in roughly 20 or so, and only made the money in those 3. I feel like I could have played them all differently and made more ITMs, but tourneys have $$ so top heavy, you have to be willing to sacrifice the short term money, so you can occasionally get those big finished for lots of money.

When I placed second, there were a lot of risks I took on the way, and playing that way I will often give away my stack before the final table. However the risk is worth the reward.

Ya have to be willing to stay consisten and not focus on the short term if you want to be a happy tournament player.

wilkcards
09-20-2004, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

As for final table poor play, I just suggest focusing more and taking more time to make decisions. This is where the money is made, and often times you can't even afford to make one mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking time is a very good point. I often act very quickly with my hands, and I often regret bet's an instant after I make them. When a "bad play" on my part results in my elimination from a tournament I tend to dwell on my stupidity. However, if I make this same "bad play" and somehow win the hand anyways, I quickly forget my mistake.
IMO, these "bad plays", or "bluffs" are only bad when the result is bad. I guess it's always hard to just shrugg off basically giving your chips away in a tournament.
I'm rambling now, but I have one question for anyone who wants to answer. I'm wondering if there are any successfull tournament players who never steal blinds, or bluff during the course of a tourament. I have found that in many of my big finishes I have bullied my tables throughout the tournament, constantly raising, and putting maximum pressure on my opponents.
Do any of you "rocks" win tournaments?

Jeff