PDA

View Full Version : What should I do here?

ChipMagnet30
09-19-2004, 10:13 PM
I would like to know if my play was the correct one:

I was playing a .25/.5 stakes game with my friends a few weeks ago, and I had a hand that I wasn't sure I knew how to play. I was in the small blind with 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif with one caller to me. I made it 1.50 to go, and the big blind (an aggressive player) raised me to $3.00. The button called and so did I. The flop came 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif; I was first to act, and I checked my set. The big blind raised 5 more, button called. I thought about it, thinking there was a draw or some sort of pair with all of the paint on the board. I made it 15 to go, and this brought on a lot of attention in a low-stakes game. The big blind thought about it and went all-in with about 5-10 more bucks left after my raise. The button then re-re-raised to his all in. I was baffled at the raise, re-raise, and re-re-raise in this home game. Was my bottom set still good? I thought about it for a while; I was big-stacked, but I would've taken a huge hit had I lost. I ended up calling; BB had AK and the button had a FLUSH DRAW(J /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif)!!!! It didn't come, and I got paid off, but looking back I think it may have been a poor play...what do you think?

fimbulwinter
09-19-2004, 10:29 PM
button better not have had one of the board cards in his hands...
with stacks this shallow, no way you should lay down a flopped set. you did good, probably shouldnt make that raise preflop, but other than that, you played it fine.

SlyAK
09-19-2004, 11:21 PM
I would probably lead out on the flop here but if your opponents are aggressive it's fine to go for the check raise. Don't even think about folding after all the action, you are most likely ahead here.

PS. I agree with the other poster that you probably shouldnt raise PF, get in there as cheaply as possible with your smallish-medium pair.

Also ask for a deck change since there are two J /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the deck /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The4thFilm
09-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Why would you lay down your set? You think they had JJ and KK?

mattman19
09-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Opposed to the other readers, I do agree with the preflop raise if you have confidence in your reads. But the checked flop was questionable because if the round goes without a bet you will be forced to turn passive if a spade or a face card hits the turn. Luckily the flop was bet and you correctly reraised an amount which put the draws in an uncomforatable decision to call. The rest of the hand resorts to stupidity. What kind of morons /images/graemlins/confused.gif are you playing cards with who would call a large check raise with only top pair and the other with a flush draw. P.S. with such high stakes amongst friends i doubt you'll be friends much longer, but just a thought. Good luck and let the river be with you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif