PDA

View Full Version : why?

scotnt73
09-19-2004, 05:29 PM
watched the history of poker the other night. it showed the big boy table at the bilagio that the high rollers play at. the table was star studded.

if i thought i was one of the best players in the world i would find a great 100-200 to play in.

why would anyone want to play at a table where every player is one of the best in the world. wouldnt it just boil down to who caught the cards that day?

maybe its an ego thing. theyve got money and fame and now they just want to prove they belong in the highest ring game in the world.

opinions?

Sponger15SB
09-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Well, somebody there has to be the best.

and, if you were playing 1000-2000 and you made .1 BB/hr you'd still be pulling down $200/hr which isn't too shabby.

Duke
09-19-2004, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if i thought i was one of the best players in the world i would find a great 100-200 to play in.

[/ QUOTE ]

And make what?

~D

scotnt73
09-19-2004, 05:52 PM
i guess your saying that making 3-5k a session wouldnt be woth a multimillionaires time. i guess it would depend how many millions you had. on the hand they showed it went:

negranu bets, doyle calls, barry raises 40k they both fold.
even if i was worth 10 million losing 200k in a session would hurt. i cant imagine playing at that limit every day for hours and hours with the best unless i was worth 20 mil or more. and even then id prob find an easier table..maybe the second best table in vegas...lol. takes a special kind of heart.

Icebee
09-19-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PokerLizard: In one of your Card Player articles you mention playing a cash game at a table with this lineup:

Seat 1: Doyle Brunson
Seat 2: Lyle Berman
Seat 3: Johnny Chan
Seat 4: Chip Reese
Seat 5: Me
Seat 6: Phil Ivey
Seat 7: Chao Xiang

No, my question isn't, "are you nuts??" It is, how do players in the highest limit games actually have long-term success - it seems as though you would just be transferring chips back and forth until the rake/time-charge broke everyone?

Daniel: Not all of the "great" players are equal. If you are the third best player in a six-handed game, that will usually be a profitable situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerLizard asked the same thing in his recent interview with Daniel Negreanu.

http://pokerlizard.com/interviews/daniel.htm

Andy B
09-19-2004, 09:07 PM
First off, even though all of these guys may be world-class players, not all of them are likely to be world-class at every game. Most of the better stud and hold'em players at my local room are pretty bad at stud/8, and while I'm pretty strong at stud and stud/8, my hold'em game has some gaping holes in it. I think they play mixed games in part because it allows each of those top pros to believe that he has an edge.

I think that an important consideration in the game Negreanu was talking about is that there is an open seat. All it takes is for the right guy to sit down to make it worth everybody's while. And if they pay time for a few days waiting for him to come, it's probably still worth it.

And yeah, these guys have egos.

I wouldn't need to think I was a top player to sit in a good $100/200 game. Do you think mike l. thinks he's world-class? I'd just need a decent roll and a plane ticket to LA.

balkii
09-20-2004, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and, if you were playing 1000-2000 and you made .1 BB/hr you'd still be pulling down $200/hr which isn't too shabby.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but it certainly wouldnt be worth the variance...

mike l.
09-20-2004, 03:08 AM
youre right it's ego. and gambling addiction/action addiction. seriously f*cked up folks in general. degenerates too. those commerce high rollers are creepy and sad. the more i sit around them the more dirty i feel.

that said, i hope to play 4 figure games some day, it looksl like fun. i almost sat in a 100-200 triple draw game the other night. retarded.

flair1239
09-20-2004, 01:47 PM
I thought, this same thing as I watched this show.

Another thought that crossed my mind is that shows like this may not be very good for poker. As they really talk up the "risk" angle. Kind of like that segment of the nuts on ESPN that showed all the prop bets.

There will be a legal backlash against on-line poker coming soon. These shows that glorify the high stakes aspect are just going to fuel the "prohibitionists" fire.

As for all these guys playing at the same table, I think it has to be ego. I also thought the same thing during Ted Forrest's ESPN interview when he said "I play in the toughest stud game in the world everyday...." My thought was, why not find an easier game?

Daliman
09-20-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for all these guys playing at the same table, I think it has to be ego. I also thought the same thing during Ted Forrest's ESPN interview when he said "I play in the toughest stud game in the world everyday...." My thought was, why not find an easier game?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because Larry flynt is donating.

Also, I think the whole game was a set up. Every single player was world class. I doubt that happens that often. SOMEONE has to be a producer. Also, what the hell game were they playing that first hand? Draw? ANd Doyle reraised with a gutshot, hit, and didnt raise?

mikeyvegas
09-20-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PokerLizard: Obligatory PokerLizard Question: If you were Matt Damon in "Rounders" how long would it have taken you to kick your girlfriend to the curb and get with Famke Janssen?

Daniel: Honestly I don't think I would have kicked her to the curb at all. She seemed like a good woman and was probably a better fit for him. It was his dishonesty that lost her. I probably would have quit playing poker if it would mean the relationship. A game is not more important than a woman you love.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gay.

dmk
09-20-2004, 02:37 PM
which channel?

Justin A
09-21-2004, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also thought the same thing during Ted Forrest's ESPN interview when he said "I play in the toughest stud game in the world everyday...." My thought was, why not find an easier game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he may very well be the best 7-stud player in the world.

Justin A

Lawrence Ng
09-21-2004, 04:48 AM
So why do you sit around them then? It's because they feed your bankroll is it not?

Egos are one thing, but if a person who wants to play some serious high stakes poker is comfortable enough and willing to do so then I hardly think ego is the issue at hand.

mike l.
09-21-2004, 05:51 AM
"So why do you sit around them then? It's because they feed your bankroll is it not?"

yeah but they sit around and play chinese poker like all night every night when there's no game. they have no life. they live there in the hotel. they all get high together and sleep together. theyre like pigs. it's very depressing to even be around. i dont want to become one of them. that's what i was trying to say.