PDA

View Full Version : 3 hands I didn't know what to do with

joker122
09-19-2004, 04:41 PM
I've hit another 90bb skid. Nothing to lose sleep over, but naturally I'm questioning my play on alot of hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.20 BB

Can I even call this river 3bet?

Hand 2:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, MP folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.70 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.70 BB

Hand 3:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

How bad is this turn call?

River: (8.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

rjc199
09-19-2004, 04:45 PM
The only thing I don't like is calling the turn in hand 3.

Trix
09-19-2004, 05:01 PM
1) What hands do you expect him to fold that you want to fold and what hands do you expect him to call that you want to call ? How often will you get CRed.
I check this turn. Also the river as I hate to get 3bet here.

2) check-call turn and bet river I guess.

3) Think the turn call is ok, next time that dude bets into me on the flop I wont raise it for him, but just call and fold the turn if I fail to improve.

joker122
09-19-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What hands do you expect him to fold that you want to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I thought I could get QQ to fold (especially since I have the Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif) or a king.

[ QUOTE ]
and what hands do you expect him to call that you want to call ?

[/ QUOTE ]

77-TT I suppose. I obviously didn't think it through as well as I should have but my basic thinking on the turn was "Checked to me, HU, in a decent size pot, I'll go ahead and bet my royal flush draw + pair."

Trix
09-19-2004, 05:13 PM
TT-77 calls, but QQ folds /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The pot is really small and you have a crapload of outs, so I would consentrate on not getting CRed and getting that last bet from TT and down I guess.

joker122
09-19-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

TT-77 calls, but QQ folds

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's retarded. I also thought the pot wasn't a bad size but now that I look at it (4.5 BB) it's barely worth fighting over.

joker122
09-20-2004, 03:11 AM
Hand 1 - I lose to KK.
Hand 2 - I lose to AcTc

daryn
09-20-2004, 03:15 AM
hand 1 looks terrible. i don't like raising QJo utg, but maybe if it's 4 handed, i dunno.. anyway, then you call his flop bet, why?? drawing to a gutshot heads up? gross.

hand 2, i like betting out on the flop, but once raised i would 3 bet the button. then maybe he caps maybe not, if not you lead out on the turn and the hand plays itself.

hand 3, i like raising the flop but i fold the turn.

Will C
09-20-2004, 03:52 AM
How I would have played them:

1) Assuming I made the UTG raise on QJo, which I likely wouldn't have, I would be much more likely to raise on the flop. This does two things: one, it lets you know where you're at in the hand and can get away more cheaply, and two, it probably allows you to see a free card if you think that you're significantly behind in the hand.

Secondly, the raise on the river when the jack fell is a very bad raise. First, he 3 bet you preflop, and then he check raised you on the turn. The jack may have made him a flush or two pair, and if he turned two pair the final jack made him a boat, and if he had the flush he still beats your trips, either way you are almost certainly killed. The only hand you likely beat is AK.

2) Perfectly fine play, in my opinion. Considering the button 3 bet you, I may have considered checking the flop with the intention of check raising the turn, but by betting you allow the button to raise all other hands out of the pot for you, and I think that is perfectly fine.

3) This is a fairly tricky hand, and I dont think there is any one right way to play the hand, alot of it depends on how you've played hands in similar situations in the past. In general, with two players limping in front, I often will limp with a hand like AQ, KQ, AJ etc. with the intention that I can likely get good value out of the hand if I make a pair considering I'm in fairly late position. (UTG or in early position I would likely raise) By raising, you know almost assuredly that you will have two callers, possibly 3 or more and will likely have to flop a pair or be prepared to make some tough raises to take down the pot. By just limping you're able to discard the hand relatively easily if you don't make your hand on the flop, or are in better position to make a play should you choose to.

Hope that helps some.

Guy McSucker
09-20-2004, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

2) check-call turn and bet river I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's backwards. The opponent, if sane, has overcards, a draw, or an overpair. Your line charges him the least to hit if he's behind, and then gives him the golden opportunity to raise the river if he hits.

Bet the turn and check-call the river! Keep charging the pot while there are no overcards on board, and let him make that one final bluff with his overcards/draw if he misses.

Guy.