PDA

View Full Version : 2+2 Publishing - I have an idea for you

ipp147
09-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Apologies if this has been suggested before.

Have you ever considered publishing a book that is basically a collection of the best posts within this site. I presume all you need is the posters approval and other than that its cheap to make.

Most people find books easier to reference over and over (rather than finding a post) and people probably miss lots of the best posts on here due to sheer numbers.

you guys ever discussed this before?

David Sklansky
09-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Seems like a good idea to me. But I think it might entail more work than you suspect.

ipp147
09-19-2004, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a good idea to me. But I think it might entail more work than you suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt it, I have very little knowledge on the publishing industry.

If you had the different forum's (poker theory,MTT's) as the chapters and just had the each post with no additional text it might not have to be as structured and/or time consuming.

All the best
ipp147

Bob Moss
09-19-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm not too familiar with the contract between posters and the site, so maybe it doesn't apply here, but I remember a few years ago slashdot.org publishing (or maybe just attempting to?) comments responding to an article about Columbine, and some people got upset, but then apparently the poster didn't need to give their permission to have their posts published.

Bob

Richard Berg
09-19-2004, 10:58 PM
According to the 2+2 TOS, posters retain most rights to their writings. Most other forums (probably including /.), though, say that either your posts become property of that website or that you grant an unlimited license for them to use it or similar.

SossMan
09-20-2004, 01:17 AM
isn't this more or less what Greg's book will be like?

Shoe Lace
09-20-2004, 05:44 AM
Are you thinking a book of this nature would be a 1 time release, or would it be re-released on a set schedule (seasonal, bi-yearly, etc.)?

Maybe they could get more efficient but less "results oriented profit" by creating a 'Best Of' forum.

Basically rather than post the best things in a physical book, a moderator and/or selected group of people would copy threads and lock them in the 'Best Of' forum.

If the original thread gets updated with "best of quality" info, the people in charge would update the locked one.

You could even go one step further and add a rating system for each thread (which everyone can use). If it gets a good enough rating, it automatically gets put into a moderator's "hey look, this thread has really good info" list.

(To help with the drone work of mining out quality threads)

Go another step, and have Ed/David/The other authors (I'm sorry for not listing them all) write specific comments, and you might have a winner (something better than an organized search list). More work, but the end result would probably be more visitors which would probably make more money in the long run because they have instant access to purchase existing books.

I think people buy books because the authors organize the scattered info in such a way that most people do get the big picture, or at least really absorb the info.

Sorry, I like to ramble. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

sthief09
09-20-2004, 06:31 AM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/search.php?Cat=

and it doesn't even cost $29.95!

Rudbaeck
09-20-2004, 09:09 AM
A Best Of forum would be great. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

StuR
09-20-2004, 01:52 PM
I forget who said it but I believe a really good book would be one of hand examples, much like you have in SSH but loads more - as long as peopl realise they're a learning tool and dont try and memorise them all!

StuR

arabie
09-30-2004, 02:04 AM
I'll taken on the job if given the oppurtinity.